Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Opinions on the Falcon Menace 4-14-44

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Silver Member

Years ago I had a scope from about every manufacture out there. As time went on I started getting rid of a bunch of them that I didn`t like or gave me problems. Today I have around 30 Leupold scopes. I have them on everything for .22 rimfire to 500 S&W on handguns and from .22 rimfire to a .411 Hawk in rifles. I also have them on muzzle loaders and shotguns.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Well, it finally got here. I haven't shot it yet but can offer some initial impressions:

It's big. It pretty much dwarfs the 3-18 IOR (though it's noticeably lighter):

Mounted:

Though unless I break another IOR this is where it will live:

The turrets are a bit mushy if you're used to high end stuff, but they seem quite usable:

I opted for the SLR reticle, which is basically a copy of the famous Premier Gen II:

As a big fan of the MP-8, I think I would have liked their copy of that (MP-20) better in the middle with the long-short lines instead of dots, but they decided to skeletonize the posts on that reticle for this model for some reason. Being a FFP, you need something you can see at low power. I was afraid if I ever found myself walking through the woods with it on 4X that reticle would be nearly invisible. I think I can like the SLR just fine too.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

A 4X shot:

14X:

In the end, it's a Mil reticle with 1/2 Mil marks. Personal likes/preferences aside, if you know one of them you know them all. They all work the same way so if you're familiar you can use any with about zero learning curve, be it a MLR, TMR, GenII, GAP, P4, MP-8, P4F, MP-20, etc. And many prefer the dot style of the Gen II anyway. It should be really familiar to many of the Military guys.

I spend much time yesterday (nice gloomy day that shows differences in glass better than a nice sunny day) comparing it to a Burris FFII 3-9, which I've felt has better glass than low end Leupolds and great for its price range, and with the IOR 3-18. It did quite well, both in daylight and dusk to dark. It was a good step optically above the FFII, but naturally the IOR was about 1.5 steps above it, depending upon power.

I'll know more after shooting it (seeing bullet holes vs. range, etc) and over the next month or so I'll compare it to many others. Side by side with a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14 will be a good test and probably more useful than against the IOR--that's just not fair. ;) But initially I'm satisfied with the glass--especially given its price other features which simply aren't available on any other scope short of an IOR.

I'll have to live with the turrets, etc, for a while to see how I like them over the long haul. But as of now, everything seems quite usable and functional. I won't be too picky on a $320 scope.

Last edited by Jon A; 06-22-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Silver Member

Falcon Menace 4-14x44

Jon,

While I'm no expert by far I read another clubs forum on this scope and the mushy turning knobs was one of the things they were looking out for on the recall of those scopes I'm not trying to jinx you in anyway but just for a heads up.

Forrest

Old 06-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, they work just fine. I'm just spoiled by other scopes, especially older IORs, the clicks are like breaking glass. It won't affect their repeatability or anything.

As far as I know, the only reason for the canceled orders was some scopes getting lower grade glass, they just weren't up to snuff optically.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Did some shooting with it, it worked well.

That's actually a best ever for that rifle (the skinny barrel, lightweight factory 7-08 A-Bolt). Turrets were repeatable and solid. Their "softness" in no way affects their function. The sidefocus worked very well; set it and forget it and the target stays sharp and without parallax until you change ranges. The view through the glass was decent.... Pretty much a solid thumbs up.

I did confirm my only real complaint so far: The click value of the turrets is off ever so slightly. About 3%. It takes only 97 clicks to go 10 Mils.

It's a small enough error 99.9% of users would never notice; as much as I and others tell people they should always measure to be sure I know very few ever actually do. This is why you do.

So that's the only actual disappointment I've noticed so far. It's no problem if only used on one rifle, a couple strokes in the ballistic program will correct for it and it's close enough to the reticle that it can be ignored for anything I use the reticle for (wind holds, hold over/under modest amounts, etc).
Old 06-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Excellent review as always..