Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

only high dollar optics are quality???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: only high dollar optics are quality???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
One upmanship dominates the American retail scene. Good for manufacturers though.

Reminds me of the guy in the subdivision that has a haf acre to mow but needs a 4 wheel drive diesel tractor with a front end loader and a belly mower when a push mower would have been just fine.....

I sometimes wonder how males justify that stuff to their wives???
if i was pulling the one upsmanship i would have got the beast, i have no use for a s&b or us optics however the nf will work just fine, i do like the sightron but its the point of having to send something back when i should be shooting, or have a scope failure on a monster muley or a big bull. Everything else i hunt as far as game goes i have an outstanding pack of hounds that track and tree to give me a close shot. I dont have to justify anything to my wife, i buy whatever if i can fit it in my small budget that even includes hounds that cost 3 times a nxs. to me it has have a useful purpose unless its a toy but it must work everytime or i wont like it much.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

A parallel...

Do you live in a subdivision and have a diesel powered tractor/lawnmower? Inquiring minds want to know??
Old 03-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
A parallel...

Do you live in a subdivision and have a diesel powered tractor/lawnmower? Inquiring minds want to know??
Really?

Last edited by smoked; 03-10-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

I won't bash on anyone that buys a night force. I'd have a dozen if I had the money. But I don't. About $500 is all I can budget for a scope right now. So I make do with so so scopes that aren't crystal clear and don't have super crisp smooth turrets that dial 100% perfect every time. But they ARE good enough to kill just as dead at say 750 yards. Which is far enough at the moment. In the mountain state here right now there is only one place I can hunt past 800 yards. Everywhere else I'm good to go
Old 03-11-2013, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member

I have owned just about every scope brand out there. Never had a S&B or Huskemaw. Leupolds were my favorite, until NF came along. Now I have three of them, as well as a March

Have bought and quickly sold Tasco, Simmons, Barska, etc. for various issues. Bushnell denied me a warranty claim, so I no longer buy their products.

You may find a middle line scope, like a Burris or Vortex that will never give you a problem, but your chances for good quality are better if you cry once, pay once for quality.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:57 AM
Gold Member

I guess alot of it comes down to your needs. Im a hunter. I dont sit and shoot a 1000 yards at paper targets. the farthest shot ive ever taken on game is 600 yards. Im not a sniper. I dont dial in my elevation and windage. Once my scope is set for the most part it stays set. My long range hunting doesnt involve much low light shooting. We usually pack up and go home before then. So low light performace isnt a factor except in regular deer season when im at a camp and then the longest shot is probably a 150 yards anyway. Absolute consistancy in adjustments is great if your a navy seal sniper or are shooting 1000 yard competition but id have to doubt many here really fall into those catagorys. The few that due will no doubt be served better by something like a nightforce and should defineately be spending the money. For most of it though it about relates to a guy going to hendrick racing and buying a 100k motor to put in there camero to go and buy grocerys.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
i guess alot of it comes down to your needs. Im a hunter. I dont sit and shoot a 1000 yards at paper targets. The farthest shot ive ever taken on game is 600 yards. Im not a sniper. I dont dial in my elevation and windage. Once my scope is set for the most part it stays set. My long range hunting doesnt involve much low light shooting. We usually pack up and go home before then. So low light performace isnt a factor except in regular deer season when im at a camp and then the longest shot is probably a 150 yards anyway. Absolute consistancy in adjustments is great if your a navy seal sniper or are shooting 1000 yard competition but id have to doubt many here really fall into those catagorys. The few that due will no doubt be served better by something like a nightforce and should defineately be spending the money. For most of it though it about relates to a guy going to hendrick racing and buying a 100k motor to put in there camero to go and buy grocerys.

bingo!!!