Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

only high dollar optics are quality???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: only high dollar optics are quality???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 458win View Post
I purchased a Vortex PST after hearing all the rage about them (1/3 the price of a nightforce). Pull it out of the box and there's particles in the reticule??? Did QA fail to look through it before putting it in the box? Needless to say it was returned for a refund. Was told by mulitple people just send it back they will send you a new one under warranty. My thoughts on the subject is I shouldn't have to send a BRAND NEW scope back for warranty work.

Nightforces do have a habit of multiplying after ending up with one

Leupold Customer service to me has always been top notch though...
Thats how the vipers i seen were, one didnt track and one had a bad reticle, I might try the sightron s-iii moa2 but i am very hesitant after some of the reviews i read
Old 02-26-2013, 01:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoked View Post
Thats how the vipers i seen were, one didnt track and one had a bad reticle, I might try the sightron s-iii moa2 but i am very hesitant after some of the reviews i read
Pony up for a older nightforce in the 12-1300 range or buy new if you can. Trying to save money on glass just doesn't work. Everytime I have tried it it just comes around to bite me in the rear.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
??
Please elaborate...
Old 02-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

Some of us have bad luck and some of us also have a part in bad luck. Sometimes it's hard to figure out. I take a case by case approach. It's important to follow directions and be fair, that being said, some lemons are out there too. The caliber you are subjecting the scope to is a major factor. Very few scopes can take the beating of a 50 BMG, expect some aspect of the scope to degenerate, I don't think the heavy loaded magnums are far behind either. It's doubtful you'll get a failure on a 22lr. Food for thought... All that being said manufacturers have to fix it with do consideration in the first year or so or say, X number of rounds. CONVERSE with the manufacturers, quality is declining because of the Asian influence in everything in MY OPINION. That is probably the biggest problem we have in every industry today. Standards are declining across the board. Service departments generally STINK. Soon you will get service from a call center in India on our scopes!
Old 03-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Bushnell has lost another customer, Vortex has lost a customer, nikon has lost a customer and leupold has lost a customer. I am pretty sure it is cheaper just to pony up and buy a nightforce. Bushnell repaired a trs-1 and sent it back only for me to get it mounted and have it fail in less than 50rds, i sent it back in and they say warranty void because it has ring marks, i looked it over before i sent it in and didnt notice ring marks. The other thing was it had a small rub mark on the top turret where it rubbed on my spotting scope mount but not bad, scope tracked good but side focus would lift reticle 20moa just from focus no adj.First Vortex viper pst didnt track, second didnt get mounted because the reticle had particles floating around on the glass,im done with that bs but got a refund, Nikon binocs are good for a season and then junk after that, spotting scope is pretty good for the money. Leupold in a cheap vx2 4-12-40 still 400 plus dollars is very clear, but the power adjustment almost needs channel locks. I have mechanic hands, cant seem to even get acknowledged by customer service, they say yes i will get back to you and then weeks go by with nothing. Does anyone make a scope that is plug and play instead of lets see whos weekend we can crash. Yes I am ordering a nightforce with zero stop but i have to sell a kid first.
You need to rub yourself in four leaf clovers and rabbits feet. Don't walk under any ladders and watch out for black cats.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Leupold in a cheap vx2 4-12-40 still 400 plus dollars is very clear, but the power adjustment almost needs channel locks. I have mechanic hands, cant seem to even get acknowledged by customer service, they say yes i will get back to you and then weeks go by with nothing.
Same thing here - if you send it back they will change the O-ring that provides the friction for the power adjustment. It made a big difference with mine.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

What does hs stand for on the Nightforce scopes. Must say a 5.5-22X50 is staring to interest me. Many thanks.