Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

only high dollar optics are quality???

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NORTH EASTERN NEVADA
Posts: 129
only high dollar optics are quality???

Bushnell has lost another customer, Vortex has lost a customer, nikon has lost a customer and leupold has lost a customer. I am pretty sure it is cheaper just to pony up and buy a nightforce. Bushnell repaired a trs-1 and sent it back only for me to get it mounted and have it fail in less than 50rds, i sent it back in and they say warranty void because it has ring marks, i looked it over before i sent it in and didnt notice ring marks. The other thing was it had a small rub mark on the top turret where it rubbed on my spotting scope mount but not bad, scope tracked good but side focus would lift reticle 20moa just from focus no adj.First Vortex viper pst didnt track, second didnt get mounted because the reticle had particles floating around on the glass,im done with that bs but got a refund, Nikon binocs are good for a season and then junk after that, spotting scope is pretty good for the money. Leupold in a cheap vx2 4-12-40 still 400 plus dollars is very clear, but the power adjustment almost needs channel locks. I have mechanic hands, cant seem to even get acknowledged by customer service, they say yes i will get back to you and then weeks go by with nothing. Does anyone make a scope that is plug and play instead of lets see whos weekend we can crash. Yes I am ordering a nightforce with zero stop but i have to sell a kid first.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 4,498
Re: only high dollar optics are quality???

I use PST's or Sightron SIII in that price range, I have not had a bad one in either and they tracked within .005 of true MOA through 80 MOA and return. Other than that go straight to Nightforce but then everyone has and issue from time to time.

We use multiples of the some of the optics your having issues with and never seen an issue and have had them for years and I consider myself hard on stuff! I know from talking with on optics manufacture that the scope ring being over tightened can cause issues with the side parallax, you won't see that the tube is crushed but you can measure it and find the spot it was over torqued, not saying you did but that is sure a possibility.
__________________
High Fence, Low Fence, Stuck in the Fence, if I can Tag it and Eat it, it's Hunting!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NORTH EASTERN NEVADA
Posts: 129
Re: only high dollar optics are quality???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I use PST's or Sightron SIII in that price range, I have not had a bad one in either and they tracked within .005 of true MOA through 80 MOA and return. Other than that go straight to Nightforce but then everyone has and issue from time to time.

We use multiples of the some of the optics your having issues with and never seen an issue and have had them for years and I consider myself hard on stuff! I know from talking with on optics manufacture that the scope ring being over tightened can cause issues with the side parallax, you won't see that the tube is crushed but you can measure it and find the spot it was over torqued, not saying you did but that is sure a possibility.
that very well could be true, next time i will measure the tube. it was in the three screw mounts more surface area to grab but i may have overtorqued it
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,903
Re: only high dollar optics are quality???

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoked View Post
Bushnell has lost another customer, Vortex has lost a customer, nikon has lost a customer and leupold has lost a customer. I am pretty sure it is cheaper just to pony up and buy a nightforce. Bushnell repaired a trs-1 and sent it back only for me to get it mounted and have it fail in less than 50rds, i sent it back in and they say warranty void because it has ring marks, i looked it over before i sent it in and didnt notice ring marks. The other thing was it had a small rub mark on the top turret where it rubbed on my spotting scope mount but not bad, scope tracked good but side focus would lift reticle 20moa just from focus no adj.First Vortex viper pst didnt track, second didnt get mounted because the reticle had particles floating around on the glass,im done with that bs but got a refund, Nikon binocs are good for a season and then junk after that, spotting scope is pretty good for the money. Leupold in a cheap vx2 4-12-40 still 400 plus dollars is very clear, but the power adjustment almost needs channel locks. I have mechanic hands, cant seem to even get acknowledged by customer service, they say yes i will get back to you and then weeks go by with nothing. Does anyone make a scope that is plug and play instead of lets see whos weekend we can crash. Yes I am ordering a nightforce with zero stop but i have to sell a kid first.
The common denominator in your scope problems is the OWNER and not the scopes. Id take a long hard look at what I was doing to mess them up. Not saying the scopes MIGHT NOT have been defective in some way...but to buy that many different brands and have them all head south?? I wouldnt bother buying a lottery ticket if I were you!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NORTH EASTERN NEVADA
Posts: 129
Re: only high dollar optics are quality???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
The common denominator in your scope problems is the OWNER and not the scopes. Id take a long hard look at what I was doing to mess them up. Not saying the scopes MIGHT NOT have been defective in some way...but to buy that many different brands and have them all head south?? I wouldnt bother buying a lottery ticket if I were you!!!
explain the ones that were garbage out of the box, like the vortex, the luepy was always hard to adjust, i thought it would loosen after time never did and it was tight out of the box, as for the trs-1s failing one after another i dont think it was me. I have simmons and tascos that were tougher than the trs-1, nikon binoculars fogged after one year, not one but two pair. My friend put a trs-1 on his lapua and it made it about 30 rds before a spring came out of the ten power detent. Ya i dont buy lottery tickets or gamble because if its going to happen its gonna happen to me
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fairview Alfa, Louisiana
Posts: 195
Re: only high dollar optics are quality???

Smoke I hear what you are saying , the old saying you get what you pay for has never been truer when your talking about glass. I have owned virtually every bargin and marginally priced scope imaginable, There a few good midrange scopes produced in the past a good example is the SWFA sipersniper line that starts in the $300 range though that is a fixed power scope for that price though it is the only one I still use in that price range . One thing I have noticed is that lowend scopes change modles some what from year to year or so, what was a great scope a couple of years ago may not be now.
I currently use a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 on my rifles (notice I said scope and rifle's plural) that is because the nightforce stays in it's rings and is swaped between 2 rifles that have rails on them depending on the time of year. I invested a little over $2400 in scope , rings and rails . Was it painful at first , yes , after a couple of range sessions it was ovious I had made the right decision not to mention the confidence that comes from knowing you are using one of the best scopes avalible any where at any price.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NORTH EASTERN NEVADA
Posts: 129
Re: only high dollar optics are quality???

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop401 View Post
Smoke I hear what you are saying , the old saying you get what you pay for has never been truer when your talking about glass. I have owned virtually every bargin and marginally priced scope imaginable, There a few good midrange scopes produced in the past a good example is the SWFA sipersniper line that starts in the $300 range though that is a fixed power scope for that price though it is the only one I still use in that price range . One thing I have noticed is that lowend scopes change modles some what from year to year or so, what was a great scope a couple of years ago may not be now.
I currently use a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 on my rifles (notice I said scope and rifle's plural) that is because the nightforce stays in it's rings and is swaped between 2 rifles that have rails on them depending on the time of year. I invested a little over $2400 in scope , rings and rails . Was it painful at first , yes , after a couple of range sessions it was ovious I had made the right decision not to mention the confidence that comes from knowing you are using one of the best scopes avalible any where at any price.
I just sold my dirt bike so i will be getting nightforce also, i didnt mean to get on here and vent but i have been catching alot of crap lately. If i would have went nightforce in the first place i probably would be money ahead by now. Thanks for the replies.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC