Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which one , Vortex Viper PST 4-16 x50or 6-24 x50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Which one , Vortex Viper PST 4-16 x50or 6-24 x50

The exit pupil at 24x is the same size it would be with any similar 50mm objective 24 power scope. If he gets the FFP PST, he can dial it down to 22x or 20x and his reticle is still calibrated and perfectly legible. If one wants a bigger exit pupil at those high magnifications, a bigger primary objective is needed, or one will be sacrificing field of view as is the case of the extended eye relief scopes.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertakid View Post
I don't know if you have already bought your scope, but you might want to look at the 4x16 viper hs with the xlr reticle or the 6-24 for that matter basically the same scope as the pst the only diffrences being a non-illuminated reticle and capped windage turret. The reticle is much finer than the pst reticle and works at all powers being usuable from 8-24. In my opionon the reticle is awesome for long range hunting and shooting.

got the 6-24 with the xlr and on 6 power can use the cross hairs don't know why you would need to use the subtensions on power that low so not really and issue for me. I have found about 18 to be what I shoot the most on the other day it was 14 with how bad the mirage was.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

The 6-24 PST is one of my favorite scopes in this price range. Iíve had two 4-16ís that went down the road but I still have the 6-24. A large part of the reason for that is the glass in my 6-24 was dramatically better than the 4-16ís. For mainly LR use, the better glass and higher magnification simply made it much more enjoyable to use. Some have said the glass on the more recent 4-16ís is improved so I donít know how valid that comparison still is, but thatís all Iíve got at the moment.

I donít feel the 6-24 is that well suited to close range use. The eyebox is a bit picky on 6X, especially when mounted on a 20 MOA base, so if you hunt in the brush a lot the 4-16 is the smarter choice. Actually, for general all around use, especially for non-long range guys, especially if one isnít too picky about glass Iíd say the 4-16 is the smarter all around choice. For more open-country hunting, if you do a lot of long range stuff-or even a lot of paper punching at lesser ranges, my choice is easily the 6-24.

Now on the FFP/SFP thingÖas somebody who always uses the reticle, if you do intend to use itóeven just for wind holds (which I highly recommend)óthen I also highly recommend the FFP version. If the eyebox feels a bit tight for you on 24X, you can turn it down to 20X or whatever and concentrate on trying to actually judge the wind and hit your target instead of doing math in your head. Thereís really no reason anybody would want to try and read the subtensions of the reticle at 6X. The only time youíd use this scope on 6X is at really close range where it serves as nice duplexópoint and shoot. With the excellent illumination the reticle is always fast easy to see even in poor light conditions on 6X.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Bronze Member

If You've Really Done Your Homework You Would Have Read Several Reports Of The Quality Of The 4-16 Glass Being Lower Than That Of The 6-24 Glass. I Speak From Personal Experience. I Could Barrel Decipher Hits On Paper At 100Yards. I Am Not Alone On This. Go With The 6-24 If Clarity Is Important To You - And It Should Be!
Sorry For Capitalizing Every Word...This Site Is Not Android/Swype Friendly :\
Old 05-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Unless you specifically need the under 6x magnification, I would get the 6-24. I have both and feel I would have done better not to get the 4-16 but get another 6-24 instead. A lot of the shorter range weapons we use to hunt deer (muzzle loader and rifled shot have 6x fixed magnification scopes on them and I have never thought I had too much magnification, even when I shot a doe at 10 yards.

With the FFP reticle in particular, it is too small to read at 4x whereas I can read mine at 6x. That may or may not be a factor for you. The reticle lines are also thinner on the 6x24 than on the 4-16 (only on the FFP scope).
I agree! Unless you just need that 4x magnification, I would go with the 6-24x50.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.