Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

One scope, two rifles: base/ring ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Gold Member

One scope, two rifles: base/ring ?

I currently own a Rem 700 LA in 30-06AI which is topped with a Mk4 4.5-14x50 in TPS 30 mm rings sitting atop a 1-pc Farrell pic base.

I will shortly have returned to me from my 'smith a Rem 700 SA in 260 Rem.

To save money, I'd like to use the same scope.

I can go one of two routes.

First would be to buy either 2-pc or a 1-pc Farrel base and use the same ring set up.

Second would be to use some Talley QR 30mm rings and bases.

First option seems easier and cheaper.

Opinions.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: One scope, two rifles: base/ring ?

Hi Alan,

I'm surprised you had no replies on this. I just posted a similar question on the forum before I saw your post.

What did you end up doing, and how is it working out?

I'd like to buy one very nice scope for two rifles rather than two mediocre ones, but I'm concerned about the repeatability in moving the scope between the rifles. Do you have to go through the whole zeroing process every time you switch?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

I have my scope in TPS rings and have 20MOA EGW Picatinny bases on all my rifles.

Yes, the zero is different every time I move the scope to another rifle. But, it is only a couple inches at 100yds different. Even going from my 220 Swift to my 338RUM. Few quick clicks of the scope and I'm back on zero.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Silver Member

geargrinder,

When you move your scope as described and you are few clicks off, is it a known number of clicks every time...or do you have to shoot to re-zero the rifle.

In other words, when you move your scope from your swift to your 338, do you know the number of clicks to get it to zero and is it repeatable every time?

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
geargrinder,

When you move your scope as described and you are few clicks off, is it a known number of clicks every time...or do you have to shoot to re-zero the rifle.

In other words, when you move your scope from your swift to your 338, do you know the number of clicks to get it to zero and is it repeatable every time?

Thanks for the input.

If you use a torque wrench then it will be a known number of clicks. I still recommend you re-verify the zero every time the scope is changed from rifle to rifle