Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

OK Guys, its time to draw the line in the sand. - I'm ticked off.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

OK Guys, its time to draw the line in the sand. - I\'m ticked off.

I've done the searches, after I learned how, from ss7mm, and studied the search results, but found all comments to be subjective.

This fall I will have the opptunity to make a 1K range shot on deer and elk. I will be ready to make that kind of a shot in all ways except for one thing. The LRF.

I have a Leica 1200 scan model. It will not cut the mustard in desert sage brush or flat open country. Three horses were grazing at between 700 and 730 yards. I know that for certain, as my 1031 yard target was in the background and they were grazing around the spot where I had set my steel coyote at 740 yds.

The Leica would not range them AT ALL! I could range leafless russian olive trees to 750 and just about anything that was under 500 could be ranged.

Is my Leica weak in the poop, or is that typical, even with a new battery?

Its gonna be a very bad deal to have rifles that out range the range finder [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

What about any of the 1500 models, Burris, Swaro etc.?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Gold Member

Re: OK Guys, its time to draw the line in the sand. - I\'m ticked off.

Well I did the same as you, and passed along most if not all of the info on the searches and post to my huntin pardner. He or I one was going to get something to go with our rigs. So, since I been laid up and not drawing a payday, he made the plunge and picked up one of the Swaro's.

While I was giving the cleaning hooch time to work on the copper this past Sunday I played with it some. He had it set to his eye and I wear glasses, so things were a little awkward for me on a few things I shot. However it ranged a white 55 gal barrel at 1838 yds consistantly in bright sunlight. I walked closer and further and it was right on.

Take it for what is worth, you read the comments on them, as well as the others, they have some drawbacks but I found it pretty awesome. I will tell you this, if you get one you will need some sort of pole rest or tripod to hold it steady enough for this sort of range. However once you got it there , it reads out great. I am sure we will be doing more testing of it and other things this coming weekend. I will holler back as time allows.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 03-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Gold Member

Could always break out the moldy money and try a Geovid. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Roy:

Up to 2000 yards and priced under $1000.00 it's Swaro hands down. If money is no object then look at the Geovids.

Don't take that new AM out shooting and not be able to range to the guns capabilities. You won't be a happy camper. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

I owned both and the Swarovski will out range the Leica hands down no contest
Old 03-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

Roy in Idaho,
This was my experience:
I bought a bushnell Elite 1500. After testing it did not compare with the reports I had read in this site, I returned it. They had a sale goin on that very day so I got me the Leica 1200. After some testing i found out it was just bearly better than the former 1500, but not enough to pay that much more; kind of dissapointed I figured that I would just go back to the Elite 1500, and just maybe I would be able to get one that would compare the former testings that had been reported here. So... I did, I went back and got me the Bushnell 1500 Elite, I made sure the box I was getting hadn't been opened and... Both of us, my 14 year old son, William and my self are very happy with our decision. When sunny and some snow in the ground I'm being able to range things like small rocks, bushes, small trees out to 960-1000 yards, and early in the morning or later in the day, even when the sun is still out I'm easily ranging things out to 1200-1300 yards. When the suns sets it'll go 1400 yards or so on rocks, trees boulders, bushes. etc. Not having the money for a Swaro we are much happy for now! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 03-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Gold Member

And for the father targets you can add the 2x doubler to the swaro for a 16x rangefinder. It also has the tripod mount on it.

d-a