Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

OH No! My scope went blank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Silver Member

OH No! My scope went blank

I hope none of you ever have the experience I had the other day, of a scope failure in the middle of the hunt. The shooting phase when the action is going, adrenalin flowing . Your partner in an uncut hay field with 30 or 40 hogs coming toward him.... You put the cross hairs on a big one, and wham, a hit, then another and then scope is white. .... I was on a hill over looking the field and could see all the hogs coming through the waist high grass (300 + yds). He couldn't, because he shot one hog and went into the field after it.

I Jumped in the truck and haul arss toward him, and I could see him firing with his rifle and drawing his side arm and firing that too.... The cheap scope that I bought was a Barska Huntsmaster a good buy? This whole hunt could have been worse for my partner, because I went cheap.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
OH   No! My scope went blank-hog-stoneham-place.jpg  
Old 09-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: OH No! My scope went blank

Jeeez, sounds like an exciting hunt. I would agree with your assessment that Barska is a low quality scope. I had one on a Ruger 10/22 and the reticle would loosen and turn on recoil. Of a .22LR. Not real impressive.

Glad you got out of there OK. I have a vivid mental image of your buddy wasting zombie pigs with his sidearm...
Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: OH No! My scope went blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
Jeeez, sounds like an exciting hunt. I would agree with your assessment that Barska is a low quality scope. I had one on a Ruger 10/22 and the reticle would loosen and turn on recoil. Of a .22LR. Not real impressive.

Glad you got out of there OK. I have a vivid mental image of your buddy wasting zombie pigs with his sidearm...
Yep an image, Its not the first time for us... My buddy is my Son, and I wasn't too worried about him. He loved it. If I saw him go for his knife , then it would have been serious. lol He has run up and stabbed a wounded hog before....

The scope was clear until the second shot , then it was just a blurr. That scope has something loose in it . If you shake it , it rattles. I think the DPMS LR 308 was too much of a jolt for it. After this, I'm using a different scope , I got a Kruger 1.5 X 5 IMR, to go on it, which was what I had on originally. Actually, I already have the Kruger mounted on an AR-15 so I may just use that one.... We added a second weapon on our ATV's after this; a 12 ga. with 00 Buck, in a scabbard. It would have made all the difference in that situation.