Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Odd rifle scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 12:23 PM

Odd rifle scope

I purchased a hunting rifle a few years ago and haven't been able to find out any information on the scope. The scope is a boush & laumb belvar 8x, it is a 2.5 x 8 variable scope. Any info that anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ty
Old 06-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: Odd rifle scope

Ty ....That B&L ...Bausch & Lomb ... Balvar Scope ( I think ) was made in Rochester , NY . It was a top notch Scope in its day . These were very popular to mount on Pre 64 Winchester Model 70s around 1950 and 1960 . The early B&L Scopes had no internal adjustments from what I can remember , and there were 2 Types of Bases / Mounts to adjust Windage and Elevation . The idea was to use the same Scope on several different Rifles without having to re-Zero the Scope . From talking to people who used them , one type of Base would return to Zero pretty well , the other would not & I can't remember which one worked well . One type was called a "Plunger " Base / Mount . Besides the 2 B&L Bases / Mounts , the Kuharsky Brothers also made a Mount for that Scope . One feature I really liked on the Scopes which I have seen ...is the Tapered Crosshair Reticle ( starts out thick and gets finer as you go to the center where the Hairs "cross" ) ..... which is great to use for small Varmints . Every once in a while , I run across these Scopes and Mounts , and sometimes the Mounts are new-in-box .

Last edited by tulku; 06-27-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Gold Member

Re: Odd rifle scope

This book, published circa 1961 - 62, should have all the information on that scope:
Facts About Telescopic Sights.: BAUSCH & LOMB: Amazon.com: Books
and a $4 investment isn't a bad deal.

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.