Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Objective way to level crosshair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Bronze Member

Objective way to level crosshair

I have mounted many scopes in my lifetime and have used various methods to level my scope's crosshairs. I have found that the best method is to hang a string with a heavy object and use that as vertical. This method is far from perfect but has always satisfied me since I just click in the elevation. Now I have a NPR2 and I use the vertical crosshair for elevation instead of clicking in. I cannot imagine the amount of error that can be introduced if the crosshair is not exactly vertical. I'd like to hear from those of you who have a fool-proof method of leveling the reticle.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Objective way to level crosshair

Personaly, I use an actual level. I set up the rifle and using the rear mounting base, I lay a high quality topedo level accross the base and level the rifle. Next I attach the scope (I use QR rings) then I lay the level accross the turret. I then make the needed adjustments. As I tighten the rings around the scope, it turns so I have to tighten 1 side a little, and then the other, all the while I watch the level. Once that is done I install and level a anti cant device.

I am sure this method is not "fool proof" but it has always worked VERY well for me. out to 600 yards I get NO left to right drift with the clicks or by using hold overs. Out to 1K I get drift to the right. I would imagine that is a function of spin drift and/or coroilus.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Bronze Member

Michael,
Thanks for the reply but I was looking for a little more precision. I have plenty of levels lying around. The problem is that we are talking about 1 and 2 degree (and hopefeully less)differneces--a level just doesn't cut it. More suggestions??
Old 06-04-2004, 06:00 AM
Platinum Member

Use a plumb bob on a large distant backer (200 yards should do) to establish true vertical. Establish three aiming points along the previously established true vertical line, the distance between these aimpoint should be as large as possible (limited by the elevation available internal to the scope mechanism). Using your 200 yard zero (assume the backer is at 200 yards) fire onto the center point of aim, then adjust the scope up about 12 MOA or more (24" at 200 yards) and fire another group onto the backer using the upper previously extablisted point of aim, lastly adjust the scope to 12 MOA below the inital group and shoot again. Plot the center(s) of these groups, if they aren't tracking plumb you'll need to adjust the scope/rifle combination to establish true vertical.

You may find that the reticle is not installed exactly parallel with the elevation mechanism, I could imagine a few degrees of allowable error.

I suppose a person could check for mis-alignment between the mechanism(s) and the reticle by capturing the scope or rifle/scope combination in a vise and tracking the apparent movement of the reticle against a distance plumb line. Set the reticle vertical line to match the plumb line then adjust the elevation mechanism from top to bottom and watch to see if it diverges from true plumb/vertical.

Something I have not tried yet. Set the rifle on a bench and place the center of the muzzle directly against a plumb line which extends downward from a support far above the bench. Viewing through the scope this plumb line will probably be nearly invisible and somewhat useless BUT if a mirror were place at a considerable distance from the rifle and the observer used the reflection of the rifle and plumb line in the mirror to check plumb it may be possible to see if the rifle/scope combination is canted. Far fetched but something I may try some day.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

If you havnt tried it, you might be suprised. With 100 click and no side drift, I would say there is under 1 degree of cant. It takes 1 or more to notice.

The string method is nice, but you still need to make sure the rifle itself is level before leveling the scope. The only logical way to do that is...a level. If your level is not true and you use the string method, your scope is not level. If you use a level on the rifle and the same level on the scope, it does not matter if the level is true or not as long as the bubble used on the rifle is in the exact same position as when used on the scope. Then you know that the scope is 90 degrees with the rifle. From there, if you dont use and ACD, you are wasting your time anyway.

Regards

[ 06-05-2004: Message edited by: meichele ]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:49 PM

From Stoney Point, the best $8.00 I ever spent:

Stoney Point Sight Lines Lens
Old 06-05-2004, 06:52 PM

Double post

[ 06-05-2004: Message edited by: redshanks ]