Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

Objective scope size

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sturgis, MI
Posts: 792
Objective scope size

Looking to get a new scope, well nightforce to be exact. Has anyone had experince with the 56mm over the 50? Is there a noticible diffrence at long range/close.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 385
Re: Objective scope size

You will not notice any difference between the 50mm and the 56mm for long range shooting. The only difference is you will see slightly longer as the light begins to fade with the 56mm.
__________________
Jon Jackoviak
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Potomac River
Posts: 5,059
Re: Objective scope size

That was a pretty good assessment.


I would add that as you age you lose a lot of night vision and I mean a whole lot. It is really irritating how much you lose. There comes a time in life when you really want that 56mm and think about springing for a Hensoldt 72mm. This is the same point in life when you eyes get sensitive to glare and you need sunshades and expensive coatings on the lenses.
__________________
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,542
Re: Objective scope size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
I would add that as you age you lose a lot of night vision and I mean a whole lot. It is really irritating how much you lose. There comes a time in life when you really want that 56mm and think about springing for a Hensoldt 72mm. This is the same point in life when you eyes get sensitive to glare and you need sunshades and expensive coatings on the lenses.
BB's a 100% correct...I know I'm in the same boat. I recently ordered an NF and went w/56mm. They say your eyes are the first thing to go...which really sucks when your in this game. Used to be able to reload in so so light, now the bench has to be lit up like a stadium...Oh well life's still good. Go with the 56mm.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northeast MS
Posts: 364
Re: Objective scope size

I honestly cant tell much if any difference in the 50 andf 56 obj, but in my experience, when dealing with high quality lenses that is normal. I have always heard that with high quality glass, you don't see a big difference with the larger obj since the light transmission of the lenses is so good, even the smaller obj. One word of advice, if you go with the 56 especially, you will need an adjustable cheekpiece for proper cheek weld.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-18-2010, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Potomac River
Posts: 5,059
Re: Objective scope size

Quote:
honestly cant tell much if any difference in the 50 andf 56 obj, but in my experience, when dealing with high quality lenses that is normal

How old are you?
__________________
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,598
Re: Objective scope size

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSLRHunter View Post
I honestly cant tell much if any difference in the 50 andf 56 obj, but in my experience, when dealing with high quality lenses that is normal. I have always heard that with high quality glass, you don't see a big difference with the larger obj since the light transmission of the lenses is so good, even the smaller obj. One word of advice, if you go with the 56 especially, you will need an adjustable cheekpiece for proper cheek weld.


There is most definately a difference, wheter or not you want the difference is the question and I make this statement with top quality optics in mind. S&B scopes are pretty top of the line and there is a difference. The larger the objective the better the low light ability and resolution, not a lot lot of difference, but definately it is there and usable in the hunting fields in my experience
__________________
range it,check the wind, dial in correction, aim and only one shot
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Objective scope size
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS Leupold 12X Gloss Scope with Adjustable Objective 700_BDL Optics For Sale 2 01-30-2011 05:37 PM
Objective size demo9pro Long Range Hunting & Shooting 18 05-05-2008 12:25 AM
Long Range Scope: 50 or 56mm objective? WildcatB Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 7 04-15-2008 09:10 AM
56MM OBJECTIVE SCOPE ON MEDIUM RINGS? YUP!!!!! POP Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 6 01-04-2006 11:26 PM
Weaver Tactical 4.5-14...what is the objective size? 40mm or 44mm fourinone Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 3 01-02-2006 06:34 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC