Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Objective scope size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Gold Member

Objective scope size

Looking to get a new scope, well nightforce to be exact. Has anyone had experince with the 56mm over the 50? Is there a noticible diffrence at long range/close.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Objective scope size

You will not notice any difference between the 50mm and the 56mm for long range shooting. The only difference is you will see slightly longer as the light begins to fade with the 56mm.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

That was a pretty good assessment.

I would add that as you age you lose a lot of night vision and I mean a whole lot. It is really irritating how much you lose. There comes a time in life when you really want that 56mm and think about springing for a Hensoldt 72mm. This is the same point in life when you eyes get sensitive to glare and you need sunshades and expensive coatings on the lenses.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
I would add that as you age you lose a lot of night vision and I mean a whole lot. It is really irritating how much you lose. There comes a time in life when you really want that 56mm and think about springing for a Hensoldt 72mm. This is the same point in life when you eyes get sensitive to glare and you need sunshades and expensive coatings on the lenses.
BB's a 100% correct...I know I'm in the same boat. I recently ordered an NF and went w/56mm. They say your eyes are the first thing to go...which really sucks when your in this game. Used to be able to reload in so so light, now the bench has to be lit up like a stadium...Oh well life's still good. Go with the 56mm.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

I honestly cant tell much if any difference in the 50 andf 56 obj, but in my experience, when dealing with high quality lenses that is normal. I have always heard that with high quality glass, you don't see a big difference with the larger obj since the light transmission of the lenses is so good, even the smaller obj. One word of advice, if you go with the 56 especially, you will need an adjustable cheekpiece for proper cheek weld.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
honestly cant tell much if any difference in the 50 andf 56 obj, but in my experience, when dealing with high quality lenses that is normal

How old are you?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSLRHunter View Post
I honestly cant tell much if any difference in the 50 andf 56 obj, but in my experience, when dealing with high quality lenses that is normal. I have always heard that with high quality glass, you don't see a big difference with the larger obj since the light transmission of the lenses is so good, even the smaller obj. One word of advice, if you go with the 56 especially, you will need an adjustable cheekpiece for proper cheek weld.

There is most definately a difference, wheter or not you want the difference is the question and I make this statement with top quality optics in mind. S&B scopes are pretty top of the line and there is a difference. The larger the objective the better the low light ability and resolution, not a lot lot of difference, but definately it is there and usable in the hunting fields in my experience