Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

NXS Zero Stop VS NO Zero Stop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

NXS Zero Stop VS NO Zero Stop

I am looking to buy a Nightforce NXS for long range hunting. I don't have much experience at long range shooting. You guys with long range experience would you choose the NXS with zero stop and .250 clicks or no zero stop and the finer .125 clicks?
Thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 03:33 PM
Bronze Member

Re: NXS Zero Stop VS NO Zero Stop

Definitely WITH zero stop and 1/4 moa if you plan on dialing the scope much.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Silver Member

After buying 2 nightforce scopes with zero stop, I would never buy a scope without zero stop for long range if it was within my price range to get one with zero stop. It is just so comforting knowing you can blindly turn your scope down to its zero point without even looking.

If it was going on a rifle that wasnt going to be dialed for elevation then it doesnt really matter. But in my personal experience I would never buy a non zero stop scope ever again for long range shooting where I was going to dial elevation.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:57 PM
Gold Member

I've had several without ZS I use for LR on 40 MOA bases. After getting a zero, I just crank the scope down to see how far off the bottom I am, and write it on the bottom of the stock with a sharpie. Most fall between 18-23 MOA off the bottom.

Works OK if you're on the cheap, but I'll do HS ZS if I can....
Old 03-31-2014, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

I'd definitely get Zero Stop. Even if you don't dial much, you will appreciate it. I rarely dial on my coyote rifle, but I have had the turrets move just from bouncing around the vehicle, dragging them through the sticks in the dark, etc etc. For me, it is certainly peace of mind.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:31 PM

Definitely the zero stop, high speed, 1/4" moa. I had two older low speed non zero stop scopes for a long time, but ended up getting one with the zs and then selling the two older ones and trading them for the zs.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Bronze Member

DRS, after a very tough Coues deer hunt this year I learned something. And that is I will never own another exposed turret rifle scope that does not have a zero stop period. that few extra dollars would have been money well spent. hope this helps in your decision.