Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

NXS vs New IOR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: NXS vs New IOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
The major concern of the IOR for me is the FFP and reticle, it may be too cluttered. Ive been looking for subtensions for the new IOR, but haven't come across anything
Found the info:

Center dot .250 moa
Heavy bar thickness 1.5 moa
Horizontal intervals 2.0 moa
Vertical intervals below center dot 1.0 moa
Vertical intervals above center dot 2.0 moa
Shortest line height/width 1.25 moa
Medium line height/width 2.5 moa
Longest line height/width 5.0 moa

Pics here: The view through the Liberty Optic

It's very thin for a FFP reticle, it should work really well on the higher powers.--Edit: I guess "very thin" isn't quite accurate, more like "fairly thin" compared with their FFP Mil Reticle. PST 6-24, Razor 5-20, SS 5-20, etc, are a bit thinner.

Last edited by Jon A; 07-16-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
Found the info:

Center dot .250 moa
Heavy bar thickness 1.5 moa
Horizontal intervals 2.0 moa
Vertical intervals below center dot 1.0 moa
Vertical intervals above center dot 2.0 moa
Shortest line height/width 1.25 moa
Medium line height/width 2.5 moa
Longest line height/width 5.0 moa

Pics here: The view through the Liberty Optic

It's very thin for a FFP reticle, it should work really well on the higher powers.

Thanks Jon! I saw the pictures on liberty optics page. I'm not a huge fan of all the numbers, but .25 moa is perfect in a FFP for me. A coues deer kill zone is pretty small in a scope at distance. The center of the reticle is open enough to not be cluttered on 24x too.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

You want to look through that busy congested reticule for deer hunting ? I had a 2.5x10x42mm IOR. The glass was just fine. Took it varmint hunting and the Schott glass didn't help me spot squirrels any better. I sold it now I have a Sightron S3 8x32x56mm That glass is good enough to be able to hit a 16 OZ water filled Rock Star can at 620 yds in the NV desert its notorious with mirage effect. For $840 bucks. Get a 6x24x50mm S3 for a few bucks cheaper mighty fine glass tons of adjustment.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

Anybody using the 6-24x56 w/ 35mm tube in the MIL version? Everything I have read on the 6-24x56 w/ 35mm tube looks promising. I have yet to find anyone who had issues with one. The MOA/MOA is just a new reticle and turrets with more internal elevation.

Last edited by youngbuck; 07-18-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

That scope is the new Gen 4 model.

All the internals have been upgraded and users on Snipers Hide dot com report it tracks as good as Nightforce. There have been ZERO failures in the US of the Gen 4 models. IOR listened and fixed the internals to match the quality of the glass.

For a .338LM, I would not consider the Sightron or other lesser brand, they won't handle the recoil. IOR puts the scope that you want in their 50 caliber section of their website, so I doubt you will have any issues with it on a .338 Lapua.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Silver Member

I opted for the IOR. I got it yesterday. The fit and finish quality may be less than Premier, USO and the other alpha dogs. The sunshade had a small nick in the end that had been anodized over. Nothing else I could find fault with. The glass is top notch, I really like the reticle. I didn't have my Swaro AV to compare clarity. I can't pick it apart yet though, it is still waiting for the rifle and the rail. The turrets work really well; elevation, windage, and parallax. 25MOA elevation per revolution. I haven't played with the zero stop yet. The illumination buttons work really well. Right now I'm very happy with it. I can't express how clear and crisp the glass was, but really did't have any of my other scopes at work to compare it too. This is my first scope with a tube larger than 30mm. It is large and heavy, but should be a perfect scope for what I want to do with it.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

Please give a report when you get it mounted and get to the range with it. This is a scope I would be interested in.