Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Not enough down travel to zero scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Not enough down travel to zero scope

Quit shooting at 100 yards. Zero your rifle further out.

Or, use your mildots. Set your zero on the bottom of your top post.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
Quit shooting at 100 yards. Zero your rifle further out.

Or, use your mildots. Set your zero on the bottom of your top post.
We were just breaking in the barrell. We were using the second dot up on the mil dots and it was still 5 inches high at a 100yds. Even if I zero it at 2 0r 300 it would still be shooting to high. I will try a piece or two of electricians tape and see if that works.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Gold Member

Just remember you just want light pressure on the tape to make contact - then check where the scope is pointing at and if you've got control over the elevation for zero. Thats a hard hitting rifle and the rings/rail have to be 100% secure before you fire it.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Swap to a 0 MOA base.....It will solve the issue. Mine did that, and by swapping the base it corrected the problem and brought it down to be able to zero @ 100.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

I'd actually go drink a can of coke and cut the side material out of it with a pair of tin snips making a few shims that will mate with the bottom of your bases. Stack them in one at a time until you can zero the scope with a couple of moa breathing room to spare. Then I'd put a drop of blue loctite on each of your base screws and torque properly. You won't have to work with bedding compound and it's a permanent 0$ fix. I've had to do this with a ruger 7 mag to clear a scope once (that shim went in the rings) and a win 375 because the scope was out of adjustment room once. Neither moved a bit over hundreds of rounds.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:40 PM

That optic should have at least 80 MOA of adjustment, I want to say it has 100 MOA. I did a search and found people having similar issues with the TRS-1.

Matt
Old 06-26-2013, 07:52 PM

fixed the problem for now. Just put a straight base on it. Might try it again some day if I cant shoot far enough. Thanks for the help.