Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Not all Rem 700 are the same

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2005, 03:21 PM
Bronze Member

Not all Rem 700 are the same

This might save someone else some grief. I have a Remington 700 that was a 300 Ultra Mag that I picked up just for the action. Most people can't shoot these things so you can find some good bargains out there. When I went to install my Near Manufacturing tapered base for a Remington long action it would not fit. I worked with Richard Near and found that a Weatherby Mark V base fit perfectly. I called Remington and they confirmed that the scope hole pattern is different on the actions they use for the Ultra Mags. So, in fact, Remington does have at least two different long actions.

If you haven't already tried one you would do yourself a favor by trying one of Richard's tapered scope bases. Besides the fact that they are of extremely high quality, Richard is great to work with. Here is his website: http://www.scopebases.com Like I said I hope this saves someone a bunch of time and I also hope this is not a repeat of another post.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:02 PM

Re: Not all Rem 700 are the same

That gun with magna-port, R3 recoil pad and a Dead Mule mercury filled recoil reducer kicks like a .243
Old 02-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

...if you don't mind a dumb question, what is "dead mule" recoil reducer... thanks... Larry
Old 03-01-2005, 05:01 AM
Gold Member

Sam11,
Now tell me if i am wrong, but i thought 700 actions came in 3 sizes, standard (or short), long and magnum.

Centre Punch.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:47 AM
Bronze Member

I always thought that there were basically two actions. The short and long. However, I am no expert. I did read a post here or one of the other forums stating that the long action and what some people called the mag. action were the same thing. When I talked to Remington's customer service I din't ask about any other specs that were off from the other actions. Maybe someone else who knows these Remington actions can educate us.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Rem 700 is just a long or short action. Win. model 70 is long, short, and magnum length(.375 H&H, STW length). First one I've heard that Rem. has changed scope base screw locations on the Ultra's though, mine was standard spacing... still a standard long action though. Richard has not listed a 700 LA "Ultra Mag" length base as of yet, nor have I seen anyone else. How new did Rem. say this change was? And did they give a reason for making it?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:51 AM
Bronze Member

I din't ask when the change was made nor did the fellow offer any more info. I had my problem cured with the Wby. Mark V base and was just interested to know whether I got a messed up receiver or if there was another reason. I got this rifle right at two years ago from now. It was new in the box but I don't have any idea of when it was mfg. Richard said he will have to get the blue prints from Remington. In case anyone asks I did try the Rem. base on a long action 270 I have and it fit on there just like it is supposed to.