Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

No big surprise - Burris Signatures slipping on 338 LM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Bronze Member

No big surprise - Burris Signatures slipping on 338 LM

I really didn't expect them to hold, but it was the only ring set I had on hand to mount this Nightforce 8-32x BR scope with. Torqued to 20+ inch lbs, the 30mm Signatures wouldn't hold the scope in place. After about 20 rounds it had moved to the point where the zoom ring area was bumping against the ring insert. I wish my Badger ring order would hurry up and get here!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: No big surprise - Burris Signatures slipping on 338 LM

I have never done it, but have heard of soldering rings and scope on heavy African guns, in fact, it is described in the literature I received with a steel 3X12X56 Kahles some years ago. Also, contact cement, and a thin layer of rubber electrical insulation tape has worked, in some cases.

Good hunting. LB

edit, come to think of it, those were not "split" rings that were soldered. Oh well?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Writers Guild

Make sure that you degrease the ring bearing surface and the scope. I tighten the screws until they will no longer move. I bet its a lot more then what you have done. I have never had a scope move even on my cannons. I use Sig rings with and without inserts on every 'important' rifle.

I just don't think you have torqued down enough. I have some pretty heavy scopes mounted on my cannons.

Jerry
Old 03-31-2005, 09:22 PM
Bronze Member

On my .50 BMG's I normally use Badger Max 50's or IOR wide rings, lapped and torqued to 15 inch lbs. and have never had one move even with 800 grain solids loaded pretty hot.

I do like the Signatures and use them on quite a few rifles, but they have repeatedly slipped on my .454 Cassul, .50 BMG and now this .338 LM no matter how tight I tighten the screws. I even punched the screw head through the ring body once trying to get them to hold on the .454 Cassul.

I suppose I could try rosin, GMS or electricians sealant, but I think I will just wait for the Badgers Max 50's to get here.

For what it's worth, I grabbed a set of Warne tactical rings in 30mm to try, just for fun and they are doing well on a McMillan in .50 BMG so far. For the money, they are not too bad. A bit difficult to lap because of the vertical split design. Other than that they seem well made and very solid.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

Don

I use to have the same rings on my Lapua. I really liked them but didn't care for the screw to tighten to the base and that always worried me. My NXS never slipped but the screw came loose and snapped the ring off the base. Got some badgers coming now. They are good rings.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Bronze Member

I'd be interested in buying signature rings from those of you who are upgrading.

Thanks

Roger
Old 04-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Bronze Member

I was thinking of getting burris signature rings for my "heavy" .300 win mag. I wanted to stick them on a sightron scope. After reading this I'm not so sure. Would I be making a mistake in getting these rings?