Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nikon Tactical or Nightforce NXS??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2005, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Nikon Tactical or Nightforce NXS??

I have never used the Nikon but I have recently aquired two nightforce 3.5X15 scopes and I have been very impressed I aslo like the np-R2 reticle the vertilce hash marks are 2 moa apart and the windage marks are 5 moa aprt besides being able to ues these marks as aiming points they can also be used to range with as I am sure you know that laser range finders do not always give readings The NXS models have internals adjustments fot the illuminated reticle the Benchrest models external adjustments. Once you adjust the brightness on the NXS you are done as I see it. I have also been very impressed with there optics. I have one 50MM&one 56MM objective but have not used them long enough to tell the twilight difference of the two I like the lower mounting of the 50MM objective
Old 03-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Interested as to why not another US Optics scope?
Old 03-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Interested as to why not another US Optics scope?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ian, just wanted to try something else. I have always wanted to try the Nikon Tactical ever since they came out.
Then I look at a NXS and love the great glass it has.

The SN-3 is a great scope, but very big and heavy...sakofan..Might try a USO ST-10 next go around.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

Sakofan, are you sure the Nikon only has a 44mm objective? I've decided on that scope for my new rifle and I'm almost positive it has a 50mm. I could be wrong though. They may make a different version that I haven't seen.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:17 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Sakofan, are you sure the Nikon only has a 44mm objective? I've decided on that scope for my new rifle and I'm almost positive it has a 50mm. I could be wrong though. They may make a different version that I haven't seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected, Sir!!
The 4-16 is a 50mm objective, and the 2.5-10 is a 44mm. Thank you.

I actually have decided to go with the Nikon. I don't know now if I want the 2.5-10, or the 4-16x. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks to all who commented. I have had my eye,(no pun intended) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], on the Nikon for a while. I just have to give it a try...sakofan....I know the NXS is a great piece too.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

Hi; I have the Nikon Tact. in 2.5-10x44mm and like it for hunting being it has a wider field of veiw. You can also get it closer to the barrel with the 44mm & side parallax allows for a pretty small O.D. for the objective. I seem to find myself while in the woods hunting deer with my power turned down all the way to see the wider field of veiw and a brighter sight picture. I use to assume that the bigger the objective the wider my field of veiw would be, but after reading the specs. on a lot of scopes found out the lower the power the wider the field of veiw. Thats what happens when I assume. So if you don't need the wide field of veiw and seem to need a higher power more often, go with the 4-16. I've seen these to have duplex, mildot, & lighted mildot. Good luck!