Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nikon Tactical or Nightforce NXS??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Gold Member

Nikon Tactical or Nightforce NXS??

Looking to replace my beloved SN-3 for my Remington VS .308.

The two candidates are the Nikon Tactical 4-16x44mm or the NXS 3.5-15x50mm.

LRH Hunting, tactical shooting, BR shooting, etc.

What say you??..sakofan.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2005, 01:02 AM

Re: Nikon Tactical or Nightforce NXS??

sakofan: If the scope you are going to be purchasing says on the tube, made in Japan, Made in USA, or made in Europe; buy it. If not, run from it.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Sakofan. Sorry I don't have any input for you based on experience with either but I just made a decision on a spotting scope and have this suggestion. Make a list of the features you are looking for and a list of acceptable ranges. For example you might want a 50mm lens. That is a fixed requirement. An acceptable weight range might be 16 to 28 ounces. When you have your list fill in as much of it as you can for both of your choices and see which one meets your requirements the best. This might be an indicator not to the quality of the optic but rather to which one was designed best for shooters like you.

I assume that you have looked through both of your listed scopes. I found that this also has a humongus part in which you choose.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

W. I have two quick questions for you.

1, What if both his remaining choices are made in the countries you mentioned (I think they are) how would he make a choice?

2, I have read on these fine forums (but not seen first hand) that IOR scopes, which are made in Romania, are a quality purchase for tactical and hunting use. I don't know if this is exactly part of Europe or not. Would you reccomend avoiding these scopes and why?
Old 03-27-2005, 06:13 AM
Gold Member

Thanks, Gents.

I just can't make up my mind between these two scopes. I'm leaning more towards the Nikon, because of the great reviews they have gotten from several people who's opinion I respect.

I like the fact that both have a 44 and 50mm objectives, respectively, and I like that fact. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I won't be buying anything for a while...sakofan...
Old 03-27-2005, 09:16 AM
Silver Member

Sakofan,

Hard to help, my nxs is 12-42x56 with NPR2 reticle. It`s a target scope and as such is excellent. Minor issues are rotating ocular to change the magnification and screwdriver required to adjust the brightness of illuminated reticle.

In the 3.5-15 range there are more options if you want a tactical type scope. I really like a FFP reticle in a tcatical type scope which neither or the scopes you want have. That said the new MLR reticle in the nxs would be nice. I think one of the strong points about NXS is the choice of reticles.

Nikon I think is made by Hakko who subcontract and Nightforce by Light(lite) Optical works who do everything in house. It should not matter if everything is built to a spec and quality control is good but I prefer the Light Optical way.

Hope it helps,

David.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Gold Member

David, Thanks for your comments.

I too like a FFP reticle scope. My USO SN-3 really spoiled me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I will go with a RFP this time, and laser my distances. I'm not a real hold over guy, because I would rather "click".

I know that either scope will serve me well. Still looking hard at the Nikon.

I honestly like a AO better than a side focus. I'm a lefty, and a side focus is really made for a RH shooter.
...sakofan....Thanks again!