Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nikon Recommendation-Ian M.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

Nikon Recommendation-Ian M.

I am getting ready to purchase a new Nikon scope, but would like your guys input on which one you think would suit my needs better. The two scopes I am looking at are the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40SF Mildot, and the Buckmaster 6-18x40SF BDC. This will be going on a 25-06 that I use for everything from prairie dogs, to coyotes, to antelope. I like the mildot reticle on the 4.5-14, but I like the target turrets and sunshade with the 6-18. As far as the magnification goes, either will have enough for what I do with this gun. I'm undecided as far as the reticle goes however. I dial my scopes for long-range shooting, but I do like the reference marks for those quick shots that often present themselves, especially with coyotes. Ian, I know you have vast experience with the BDC, and would like your input on how it compares to the Mildot. I like the concept of the BDC, but wish it had some reference marks for windage besides just the edges of the circles. Let me know what you guys think, or any experience you have with either of these scopes. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Nikon Recommendation-Ian M.

Sharpshooter,
You hit it on the head, the lack of windage reference is unfortunate. We can use the 3 and 9 o'clock positions on the circles in light wind for holdoffs but a dot for 10mph reference would have been nice.
Regardless, I would shoot the BDC over the mildots for hunting. The BDC gives me more hold-off points, simple as that.
You have selected some nice scopes, the bigger powers work nicely. I have been fortunate to shoot a lot of Nikon scopes, they work very well in any model or power range.
If you are not in a big rush why not wait till after the SHOT show so you can check out new scopes, I have a feeling there will be some good ones to consider.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:37 AM
Silver Member

Sent email-Ian M.

I shot you an e-mail Ian.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Sent email-Ian M.

Unfortunately my e-mail function is fried on this computer right now, the provider switched programs and the new program is not friendly to Macs so I lost my e-mails. They are working on it. You could send one into the link from mcmoutdoors.com and I will get it.
Sorry about this, it is a genuine pain in the butt with all the communication I need to do. They want me to dump my e-mail program entirely and start over - will lose all the addresses etc.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Ian

What's a "Mac"?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

OK, I'll shoot it to you from your website. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:03 PM

I personally like the BDC reticle over the mil-dot. The BDC take the guess work out of it and more time to shoot!