Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nikon optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: Nikon optics

I picked up a Nikon 2.5-10x44 Tactical used, on a trade. The elevation turret was malfunctioning. I sent it for warranty repair, and it came back working fine in about 2 weeks. No charge to me. Optically, it is very good. Seems plenty durable. I suspect it had been damaged before I owned it. I would say it is a high quality product, backed by a bullet-proof warranty.

But, all things considered, I still like Leupolds better.

MM

[ 10-30-2003: Message edited by: MontanaMarine ]
Old 10-31-2003, 12:00 AM

I am a little torn, I like the gloss finish because it'll match my rifle, 10 bucks is not a big deal between the scopes, however I like the idea of a Jap made over the ppines. I am just not a 100 percent sure. Damn!!

How's the mag on the scope, would it be too much for the hunts I've mention?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2003, 07:19 PM
Gold Member

MM, if you are unhappy with it do you want to sell it? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2003, 05:11 AM
Silver Member

I don't think unhappy is accurate, just not my favorite. I'll happily sell it for $700, or trade for Leupold 3.5-10x40LR M1, Mk4 10x, or Mk4 16x.

MM

[ 11-01-2003: Message edited by: MontanaMarine ]
Old 11-01-2003, 07:31 AM

Nikon products are OK but their service absolutely sucks.
Remember they are an international company.
Two of the many Nikon products I have purchased were defective.
I live in Toronto but either bought them via mail order in the USA or bought them while in Florida.
Nikon Canada steadfastly refused to even look at them because they were not bought in Canada( That means paid twice as much for the same item).
When I contacted NIKON USA they wouldn't accept them either because they said they wouldn't send them back to Canada.

Nikon and I have since parted ways.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:24 AM
Silver Member

Decee, now why wouldn't they send them back to Canada? Tell ya what, send it to me, or any other one of us guys down here, we'll send them in for repairs, and make durn sure you get them back. MM-you a lefty? Good to see rifles with the bolt on the correct side!
Old 11-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Sako,
Here are a couple of interesting little points about the 75. Does your synthetic stock have a tiny gap in the rubber on the seam in the midpoint of the forend - virtually every Sako that I have seen has the little sucker. Also, if you take the action out of the stock you might find a tiny crack in the stock near the trigger recess - I was told that is a factory mould boo-boo and they all have it. Does not mean anything as it is not a stress point but it is there if you can find it.

Other than those two minor things I have never found anything wrong with the 75, it is a great rifle. I have a .300 and a .338, and aside from a horse chewing on the rubber grip panel on the .300 they are in perfect shape after a lot of use. They are the most accurate and well assembled out of the box rifles that I have used, maybe a couple of Weatherbys give them a run but they are superb.
Only real sour point I have is the stupid factory scope mounting system - I do not understand why they went away from their old rings that attached directly to the dovetails. If you want some really nice looking mounts for your 75 look at the Warnes, they are dandy.

Like you I am a big fan of the 75, just thought you might find some of this interesting. I have stainless synthetics but got a spare mag in blue so I can put different ammo in it if I feel the need, can tell them apart that way. Do that sometime with a really tough bullet like the A-Frame vs the Hornady or whatever.