Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nikon optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2003, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Nikon optics

Nate,
Probably doesn't matter where they are made, or by which elfs, as long as they are good enough to carry Nikon's name. I am like you, I like the suckers a lot.

By the way, we better quit talking about Jap scopes or we might get ex-communicated or knackered by the impending new President - DC [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-30-2003, 11:49 AM

Would like to hunt whitetail, elk, mountain goat, and possibly varmint too, however a 7stw may be too much for that. Would like to do somewhat of a long range hunt, 200-500 yards. Looking @ the monarch UCC 5.5x16.5x44. I looked at the gloss finish verus the matte, the gloss is 10 bucks cheaper, any reason why? The only diff. I saw between the two was, the matte finish being made in Japan, and the gloss made in the philipines. Does it matter? Which one would be a better choice?

[ 10-30-2003: Message edited by: Maximus ]
Old 10-30-2003, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

unless you wish to match rifle finish to scope finish, I would get matte regardless.

Them sharp-eyed critters will have one less bit of reflection (from your stuff) to spot you. Why the cost difference? Don't know, other than it may be slightly less expensive for Nikon to produce the shiny version.

If I had a choice between buying a scope made in the two countries you list, I'd vote for Japan, simply because they have a world-class optics production industry and very dedicated workforce (as a generality).
Old 10-30-2003, 02:20 PM
Silver Member

Mag range should be fine, esp. when you consider the 'standard' hunting scope is 4x.

For closer in shots, maybe at moving targets (which I only recommend only if the quarry is wounded or if you are starving), you can dial down to 5.5, which should be fine unless you are hunting in heavy brush, real close.

For the long shots, dial up and know your zeroes and do your business. I think a 4-16 scope is just about all-around perfect, so the 5.5-15 is right in there.

However, Nikon also makes a 4-12. Problem with it is that no target knobs, just the typical coin-slot adjustments...
Old 10-30-2003, 02:21 PM
Gold Member

Maximus, My friend just bought the Monarch you described. We were shooting out to 250yds and I was able to see the holes, with no trouble. You CANT go wrong with this scope!! He has it on his coveted 7mag, and loves it.
It is equal to my Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 in every way. And I dont admit that easiliy!!..sakofan.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ 10-30-2003: Message edited by: sakofan ]
Old 10-30-2003, 04:16 PM

Sakofan,
Which Sako rifle(s) do you own? I'm about to get a Hunter 75 deluxe. What a gorgeous rifle, of course the price tag is right up there too. After looking @ the deluxe, nothing else comes close.
Did your friend get the gloss or the matte finish?
Old 10-30-2003, 04:36 PM
Gold Member

Maximus, I have the Sako Mod. 75 .300WM stainless synthetic, and I love it.
A friend owns the wood/blued, and it is simply beautiful. But,the SS is more practicle for me.

Friend has the Monarch in matte finish. Rifle is a Browning A-bolt Medallion 7 mag.
He also has a Nikon Buckmaster on his Win .308 that is a good little scope as well..sakofan..