Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nikon optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2003, 02:50 PM

Nikon optics

I would like any feedback from anyone whose had experience with Nikon optics, especially their riflescopes. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2003, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Nikon optics

I have a spotting scope and a pair of their binoculars. They are both very nice to look through. The prices on each were very good also! Their rifle scopes are very nice too but they just haven't made exactly what I am looking for yet.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

They are very clear in the center of the optics, and the price is very very good. The only drawback that I can see is that the "picture" seems to "roll" as you look towards the edge of the picture. Several benchrest friends of mine have stated that the click value is not as reapeatable as other scopes, to mention-Leupold. But for the price, I think they are amazing.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

I have shot Boyd's gun with a Nikon scope.
Nice!
BUT
I still like the leupold better or was that Simmons Blazer? ah Da! Leupold! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2003, 09:53 AM
Silver Member

Max, I have four Nikon scopes, and love them. Depending on what sort of shooting you wish to do, you might just think they are the cat's pajamas too. (To ensure my objective-ity, get it?, I should point out that I also have Leupold, Burris/Pentax, Weaver, Tasco SS, Simmons GMS, and Sightron products in my current assortment. Zeiss on the way, and have previously had NF, B&L, and Unertl in the mix...)

sheeesus, now I'm boring myself!

For value, i.e. performance for price, the Nikon is probably at the top of the heap (but the heap includes Sightron, Weaver, and Bushnell/B&L Elite).

Nikon makes their own scopes in Nikon factories. Lower mag versions made in their Phillipines factory, higher mag versions in their Japan factory. The Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 is the best new scope value in the world at about $265.00 from The Optic Zone.

If you specify what sorta shooting/setup you are planning, maybe we can advise you further. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2003, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Nate,
You are pretty accurate in your assement of the scopes mentioned, but Nikon does NOT make all of its higher end scopes in its own factories. Minor detail but that is just not correct. I was like you and assumed that but found out it is not quite correct - still the folks who are making those scopes are doing it to Nikon specs and they are superb. No doubt there is a lot of subing-out manufacturing, for instance I assumed that Leupold made its own lenses at one time, found out at the factory that they buy them from the orient.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:31 AM
Silver Member

the buggers! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My info is based on discussion a few years back with their US-based tech staff in Torrance, CA, when I sent in a scope for service (had a bit of debris on the reticle).

Caveat Emptor -- things change quickly even in our sport.