Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nikon Monarch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 03:28 AM
Bronze Member

Nikon Monarch

Hi

Has anyone used Nikon Monarch scopes. I am considering buying one for my Tikka 243 Varmint.

Your Feedback would be appreciated
Old 07-25-2013, 07:02 AM
Gold Member

Re: Nikon Monarch

Ive got 3 monarchs and 4 team primos which are the original version of the monarch with a bdc reticle. For the money they have great glass. Probably a tick better then a comparable priced leupold. Mine to tend to have a bit of tunnel vision at higher powers though and dont have the eye relief a leupold has at the higher powers either. If i had to judge a contest between the two id call it a toss up in the 3-400 dollar range and would throw ziess conquest in there too as none of them are so much better then the other at everything to pick a hands down winner.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:37 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks Lloydsmale

I am angling towards the 4-16x42 with mill dot ret. I currently have a Leupold 6.5-20x40 which I am happy with. DO you think there will be a big difference in the quality of the glass between these 2 scopes?
Old 07-26-2013, 05:19 AM
Gold Member

I picked up a 4x16 monarch about 6 months ago. Glass seams good in it. I dont have a 6.5x20 leupold to compare it to but do have a 4.5x14 and opticaly id say its close. I do prefer the leupold though because it doesnt have as much of that tunnel vision on higher powers. Two other things make me prefer the luepold. There made in the USA and resale value is better with used leupolds then about any brand of scope.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Gold Member

Nikon Monarch optics are very good. the main problem with NIKON optics is the management (Japanese) that have NO CLUE what the American shooting public wants and needs. If they ever wake up and offer options like the other major mfgs. NIKON will become one of the most used optics.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 PM

I have the Mildot Nikon you are talking about. Its a really clear optic. I was looking for a mid-price range scope, and had an opportunity to use my buddies Nikon on his 300 WM and was sold on the clarity. I also have a Nightforce on my long range set up, so I do have a comparison. For the money, its a decent scope.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosh338 View Post
Thanks Lloydsmale

I am angling towards the 4-16x42 with mill dot ret. I currently have a Leupold 6.5-20x40 which I am happy with. DO you think there will be a big difference in the quality of the glass between these 2 scopes?

Are you wanting to sell the leupold 6.5-20x40? How much would you want for it?
captkenrea@gmail.com