Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nikon Coyote Special scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Nikon Coyote Special scopes

"Dido" to the opinions on the circles vs. cross-hairs.

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 01-16-2013, 12:57 PM

What are you all talking about?

The Nikon BDC reticle does have "cross hairs" in its center. The circles are below the center cross hairs on the verticle axis. You still "sight in" the rifle/scope at your chosen distance useing the cross hairs. You then use Nikon's Spot On Ballistic calculator to and knowledge of velocity, BC, etc. to assertain the distances that correspond to various points on the several circles.

If this link works, it is a link to the Spot On website with an example of what the BDC reticle looks like. You can clearly see the cross hairs in the center of the reticle. Nikon Spot On&#153 Ballistic Match Technology Program
Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

There are cross hairs but they end at the circle, no intersection. If they want to use something for ranging they could have used the horizontal lines for that. We are talking about the coyote edition scope.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb79 View Post

By the way, cwinner, all second focal plane, adjustable magnification scopes are only "perfectly" accurate at one (usually the highest) magnification level. This fact is in no way unique to the Nikon Coyote Special scope.
I guess I could have elaborated a little more as I'm familiar with FFP vs SPF issue and my intended point is that the intent of this BDC function is instant ranging and holdover, ie if the coyotes chest fits in the circle then that's the one you shoot, I agree a SFP reticle is useless for ranging unless you are the prescribed magnification, specified a 9x on the coyote special, or another SFP scope for that matter....I do a lot of calling and my scope is always turned to the lowest setting........now say I need to range a coyote hung up out there, I have to crank the scope up to use the BDC functions......it sounds fine in theory but doesn't work for me!

Like I said I ordered this scope cause it was cheap enough and the camo pattern matched a rifle that I won.......you get what you pay for and that's exactly what I got!!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Silver Member

The Nicon BDC is differant from
The one found on the coyote special
Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Gold Member

The Coyote version looks worthless & crazy to me!!

The regular BDC is much better, but I would like lines like the Burris Bal. Plex or the Zeiss system
more.

because I can get them at a special deal;, I bought a Monarch 4x16BDC & about to get a 4x14 M308. Thou not optimal I think they will work, but I would never consider the Coyote.