Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nikon Coyote Special scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 05:35 PM

Nikon Coyote Special scopes

Nikon has a line of scopes called the Coyote Specials. The main thing that sets them apart from other scopes seems to be their BDC reticles that are intended to match up with .223 and 22-250 loads. Also, they are available in camoflauge.

Does anyone know where these scope fall in the hierarch of Nikon scope quality? In other words, are they Monarch quality, Buckmaster quality, or something less entirely?

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: Nikon Coyote Special scopes

prostaff,

I had one and there bdc is way off, and the circles are entirly to big to be aimed with. I like to aim at a spot not a area. I ended up figureing out my own drop chart and used the top and bottom of the circles as aiming points. All and All it was a big pain
Old 12-21-2012, 06:55 PM

Thanks vette. I was wondering about the top circle in the bdc reticle. It seems huge. Back to my origial plan for glass.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

I ordered one for a R-15 in camo that I won last year because the camo matched and agree that's it's not all its cracked up to be, the huge circle sucks for an aiming point when sighting in and the rifle has to be on max power for the supposed BDC stadia to work.....

I'm not impressed in the least with it.....
Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

I agree with the guys above, put one on a 7mm RUM.
Used the top and bottom of the circles for drop points. Took about a afternoon of shooting but got them all figured out. I have no idea what they were thinking using circles for aimimg points. If I had wanted that I'd use my EOTECH. Other than that I love the scope and has held up to the recoil well.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 AM

Again, thanks to all. I ended up purchasing a Nikon Monarch with BDC reticle. The glass is very good and the circles on the non-coyote versions of the BDC reticle are all the same size and much smaller. Sighting in a 200 yards was easy and after chronographing my muzzle velocity and using Nikon's Spot On ballistic software to determine my drops vis a vis the circles, the scope is easy to use and I am able to quickly and accurately adjust my aiming point(s) and hit my targets at varying distances.

By the way, cwinner, all second focal plane, adjustable magnification scopes are only "perfectly" accurate at one (usually the highest) magnification level. This fact is in no way unique to the Nikon Coyote Special scope.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

The circles are intended to aid in range estimints. I shot one on a buddies 22-250, i only shot at a 100 yard to zero for him. I will agree with ever one else. It should have cross hairs for the top. If you check out the spot on app or or go to there web sight, you can input other calibers and print out a screen shot for what the range should be for the circals for each power setting. Having 5 range cards typed to your stock would be confusing as hell. IMO I wouldn't want this scope on my stand rifle.