Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

nikon buckmaster/horizontal adjustment problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2006, 11:17 AM
Silver Member

nikon buckmaster/horizontal adjustment problem

got out today to try my new nikon buckmaster 6-18-40 a/o.i bore sighted the rifle.i could not get the point of impact to adjust properly horizontally.the elevation knob adjusts the crosshairs from top to bottom or "lock to lock".the horizontal adj stops at 2 1/2 turns from the end of travel.i'm going to send the scope back.how is nikon"s customer service dept?jason
Old 02-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: nikon buckmaster/horizontal adjustment problem

I have found them to be very helpful.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

Before you send that scope back you may want to read the following article. There may be nothing wrong with the scope at all...

http://practicalrifler.6.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=38

Basically, if you're dialed down low or way up high with the elevation, you will not have the normal amount of windage travel.

You say you have 2 1/2 turns of windage adjustment, which would be at least 25 MOA I would think. That should be 12.5 MOA in each direction from center--which should be more than adequate to center windage if your base and rings are on straight.

If your base and rings aren't straight, a possible solution would be to center the erector and switch to a windage adjustable base/ring set-up (like the Redfield JR type) and use this base to get the windage to a rough center. Or if you're using Weaver style rings you can sometimes correct an alignment problem by switching the rings, front to rear, and/or flip the rings.

Dan
Old 02-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

green 788,maybe i didnt explain the situation well enough.the horizontal adj has all the adjustment but 2 1/2 turns on one side.in other words,the crosshairs move the whole way through the adjustment range all but 2 1/2 turns.i have weaver bases and burris signature rings(weaver type)that has plastic inserts to get the proper scope to barrel tilt for long range shooting.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Gold Member

I think what you are describing are "phantom clicks," which means that the turret is turning, but the erector is not moving.

Your erector might look like the bottom image in the stack. It is possible that it is hitting the inside of the scope tube and stopping. (This doesn't mean the scope is broken). The erector spring holds tension against the erector tube, and the windage turret presses the erector tube against that spring.

I'll bet that the 2 1/2 turns of phantom clicks are when you're dialing the turret out. Right? Which would be counter-clockwise on most scopes, though I'm not sure on the Nikon.

Do you have offsets installed in the Burris Pos-Align rings? Check the numbers on the polymer inserts and make sure they are all zeros. Otherwise, you'll have extra elevation on the scope (extra elevation from the Pos-Aligns is fine when you need it, of course).

Having had another scope on the rifle before which worked fine doesn't necessarily mean that the mount is straight with the bore. Some scopes have more adjustment room to accomodate a crooked mount.

I would remove the scope, and then center the windage and elevation turrets. The proper way to do this can be found HERE...
...but you could also just dial the turrets end to end, and count the clicks half way back to center. That should get you within 3 MOA of center (or thereabouts).

If you just dial the scope turrets and count the clicks back to center, you won't have to remove it from the rifle. Once you've got both the windage and the elevation turrets dialed to approximate center (or exact center if you follow the instructions in the link above) then you'll want to bore sight the scope and see how far off the elevation and windage is.

If you have to dial the windage turret more than one turn (or 10 to 12 MOA) from center to get your zero--there is something wrong with the mount. It could be that one of the Pos-Align rings has an offset in it (check the numbers on them) or it could be that the Weaver bases aren't lined up right with the bore.

I just don't want to see you send the scope in, wait on them to check it out, and then find out when you get it back that the problem is still there...

Good luck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: I didn't notice the last line of your post. You indeed to have the offsets in your mount. And you obviously know what they are for. I assume you've got +20 MOA under the rear of the scope--right? So basically, you do have the erector moved low for the 100 yard zero. This totally explains the lack of windage (left to right) travel. The erector will be "bottomed out" in the tube. One way that you can fix this--since you already have the offset inserts, is to swivel the inserts to either 4 o'clock or 8 o'clock, which will move the scope tube to one side or the other.

I am totally convinced there is nothing wrong with your scope. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dan
Old 02-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

green 788,i looked at the link you suggested.i think you are totally on track!the elevation turret is maxed out,to get the most "clicks"for my 20" at 100 yards.i do have the scope "tilted" too much on the rifle.so the piece in the scope that moves when elevation turret is turned,is aginst the tube.so the reason the windage turret does not adjust "lock to lock" is that the intenal parts are pushed aginst the tube from the elevation turret.and it cant move freely.thank you for clearing this up for me.jason [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Gold Member

How much total elevation does the Nikon scope have? What bullet are you shooting, and at what velocity? How far out do you want to shoot (max range)?

Maybe you could drop to a 15 MOA shim and bring things into line...

Dan