Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nikon Binoculars?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Bronze Member

Nikon Binoculars?

I read the previous posts' and simply do not have the funds at this point to afford the Swaro's, Leica's etc. I would love to and do have good glass on my rifle but I am trying o gear up for this years hunt and my wallet is already thin.

So, for an upper low end pair I am looking at the Nikon's, Hopefully they will get me through this years hunt. Any thoughts on the pair listed below? Should I even be considering these?

Nikon 10x25 Realtree Outdoors Binocular

Nikon 8-24x25 Eagleview Zoom Binocular

10x25 Trailblazer ATB Binocular

Nikon 8x42 Trailblazer ATB Binocular

These will be used for both packing in and glassing the hills/canyons for black tail deer.I do have couple questions. Does the 25mm obj. work okay for glassing? Might the 8x42 be a better choice over the 10x25? I feel the bigger objective might work better but I am looking for something compact and light weight unless I will be giving much up over the larger objective?

Any feed back will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks pd
Old 07-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

I really wish that someone would come up with an objective resolution test for binos & scopes like there are for camera lenses. I think a lot of people would be surprised with the results.

I like Nikon optics. Maybe I'm biased from my photography background, but I think they make very good binoculars (and lenses) for the price. If you go to a store, do a side by side comparison. Look into dark shadow areas. See which ones look clearest and reveal the most detail. I feel that some lower end Nikon binos compare favorably to the higher end lines.

This spring I lost a pair of expensive binos (Leupold) and replaced them with the new Nikon trailblazer's 8x42 for $135. I looked side by side with the pair I lost (and some other higher end models) and felt that the trailblazers where as sharp and brought out shadow detail just a little better as most of the one's I compared.

My original plan was to buy trailblazers now and upgrade later, but after using them for a while, I'm not so sure. They work well. I just went scouting with my cousin who was using Leica's and he would switch to mine whenever I was on the spotting scope.

The only thing I don't like about them is that there is no way to mount a tripod bracket unless you where to epoxy one on yourself. All the other lines of Nikon bino that I saw allow you to mount one with no modification.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Bronze Member

XLNT, thanks pstimac. Have you had a chance to compare the 8x40 Trail Blazers with the 10x25's? I am already overweight pack wise but as I mentioned and like the sound of the 10x but if I am giving up too much then I will definitely go with the 8x40. I am going to have to catalog order as I do not have much of a selection locally.

pd
Old 07-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

I like 8x... didn't try the 10x.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Silver Member

I agree with pstimac but I would try to squweeze into a little better pair of Nikons if you go that route. Like these

NIK7430

Description: MONARCH ATB 8X42 PHASE CTD BINO

Monarch ATB 8x42mm
Phase-correction coated prisms - Fully multicoated lenses - Waterproof & fogproof - Ultra-rugged, rubber-armored design is lightweight - Precision aligned optics - Extended eye relief - Central focus

Delivered price would be $259, and the quality is very fine for the cash.

Scott