Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nikon BDC or MIL DOT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 08:20 PM

Nikon BDC or MIL DOT

I am looking for a scope for my new 300 WSM I am looking at the Nikon 4-14 just need to decide on the BDC or MIL DOT any pros or cons to either which is easier to use for hunting? Thanks.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:13 PM

Re: Nikon BDC or MIL DOT

Hope you all like the mil dot because I just won one on ebay!!
Thanks for looking.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Nothing wrong with either really. Most ballistic programs have a MD feature that allows u to simply click a button and get your zeros. Of course this assumes accurate data inputted by the user. It's a learning process if u wanna' use it as a rangefinding tool, and maybe downrange zeroing at a power higher than the calibrated (12). I would apply the MD reticle at it's highest power, and do my own calcs for downrange zeroing from a ballistics program (at 14x the subtension between dots becomes 3.12 inch per hundred yds. instead of 3.6...according to the catalog [good idea to check the measurements at the range, although the 1 Nikon i have is exactly as advertised]). I prefer using the optic/reticle at it's highest power to get a bit more magnification, and it sort of acts as a reticle "zero stop," meaning that the subtension will obviously always be the same at the power ring's stopping point (especially important for rangefinding purposes).

That optic could also be used for windage applications mostly and twisting turrets for elevation reference.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Gold Member

The nice thing about Mil Dot is they are, or should be consistant, among manufactures. I have switched the majority of my reticles to Mil Dot for consitancy and ease of use. You will hear the dots cover to much but with a little practice they are fine at extended ranges. Have fun with it let us know the quality of the scope.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 PM

Look at Nikons "Spot On" software and application for iphone. It is incredible for Mildot.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

I do my long range shooting with a scope that has mil dots, but I uses them only for windage and leed. I think that a good range finder is a must and I prefer to dial in the elevation. I would reather have a scope with target knobs only that with mil dots only.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 PM

I have a range finder, I plan to use the mil dots for lead and hold over and as a back up range finder. I will check out nikons spot on, I need to learn how to use the mil dots correctly, thanks for all the info!