Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nikon 800 and 1200 lasers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-21-2006, 09:12 AM
Silver Member
Re: Nikon 800 and 1200 lasers

I like my Monarch 800, had the Bushnell 1000 yardagepro before this and like the Nikon better. For steadyness I use this setup.

Unread 06-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

I have and use the nikon buckmasters 800. My dad bought it about 3 years ago I think. It works really well out to about 700 yards. I dont have any complaints except for bright sunny days, in real open flat ground or fields, it has a hard time picking up coyotes. There probly 500-600 I'm guessing. I have got elk out to 900, trees and brush out to 900 as well. All this was done with me sitting down and resting the unit on my knee. Careful breathing and a couple attempts was all it took. The glass is not that bad. Pretty decent in my opinion. My dad upgraded to the nikon monarch 800. It does not read any better then the older buckmaster. If anything, I think its harder because of the way you have to hold it. I like the way you hold the buckmasters. For hunting deer, elk, or rocks out to 800 yards, as long as your not out in the flat open dessert or prairie when its bright and sunny, you shouldn't have a problem getting a reading.
Unread 06-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

I have been moaning and groaning about LRFs on various threads. I decided that my 1000 yard back yard range was only one test location and narrowed the ranging opporturnites more than is appropriate.

Yesterday I spend the day at a girls camp and led a hike for several hours. It was a beautiful mountain setting with varied conditions of sunlight and features.

Of course I took my Leica 1200 Scan LRF with me.

The only downer was that I received a few comments that it looked like a flask [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The high point was when one of the parents, kind of an overeducated know it all type when asked "how far is it to that tree over there?" responded with 115 yds and I was confidently able to respond with "well its 'actually' 1111yds". WooooHoooo [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'd pretend there was a buck in a spot then range it. Was successful about 90% of the time on the first shot.

I was able to range out to 1157yds repeatedly.

Items of note:

1) Angle of the sun made a difference. As the sun moved certain spots became more reliable to range or less reliable depending on I have no idea what. I was stationary for an almost 2 hours (not on the hike [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and trended the trend.

2) It was really amazing to have it clearly revealed that the tree or rock or bush that was about 100yds behind a closer tree was actually at as much as 900 yards behind the tree. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

3) Angle compensation would be a GOOD thing.
Conclusion: renewed faith in the Leica. Love the optics and the diopter adjustment.

Rifles should be arriving shortly so I'll shutup about LRFs and try to bring 'the system' together and get some meat on the table.
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!
Unread 06-27-2006, 09:51 PM

I've had the bushnell 1500 and nikon 1200, the nikon reads much faster and is more ergonomic, optics are poor on both with really small objective, Did not compare max range ability, kept the nikon. The lecia 800 I played with didn't range worth a darn, but the optics were much nicer.
Unread 07-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

I receiced a camo 800yd nikon from Jon at the optic zone the other day and took it out for a tryout.
Wanted to find an open space so i went to the beach behind where i ate breakfast.This is florida so it's the beach or the side of the highway.
I lasered a boat on a lift at 503.5 yards three times over a 15 minute span.
Two early morning seacows at 343yds twice.
A condo wall across the bayou at 962 yds.!
A truck w/ the camper shell exposed at 761yds.
And a man in a sea kayak at 475-485ish -i forget.
Holding the unit steady offhand was hard but once i propped up on a picnic table it shot consistant readings on a pole down the bayou at 646yds.
It's truly a pocket size model ,i like it but don't have any expierience w/ others to speak of.
I guessed some of the distances then lasered them and was way off on many,but the water seems more deceiving than land to me.
I think it'll come in much or handy in colorado when i get moved there in a year--oh how time drags by.Mike
AIPAC for president !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!