Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nikon 6-18 Buckmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Bronze Member

Nikon 6-18 Buckmaster

Im considering this scope for use on a 338rum and casual shooting up to 800 yds maybe. Mostly less than 600. Are Nikon target knobs simple/reliable to use for this type of application? And, any other concerns with this scope?
Old 02-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Nikon 6-18 Buckmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabill View Post
Im considering this scope for use on a 338rum and casual shooting up to 800 yds maybe. Mostly less than 600. Are Nikon target knobs simple/reliable to use for this type of application? And, any other concerns with this scope?

I have one of these. If your OK with 1/8 clicks than it will work fine. It's not the clearest or brightest scope so, in the optical area you are getting what you pay for. I have found it to be repeatable and track just fine. The knobs themselves are splined and attach to a splined shaft that comes out of the scope. I like this design over the three set screws but that's just me. I have not had any issues with the splines agreeing with the vertical markings on the turret caps.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

They are a good scope for the money. However, I would be concerned with the power level. 6-18 may not be really nice to do close up work with.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Bronze Member

It comes with 2 sets of knobs. Is there any real world difference between the sets other than the larger diameter where you grip the knob?

I assume that after you zero the gun, you can loosen the allen screw and return the knob to zero, regardless of number of turn you moved it. Also, I guess it is also possible that you may have to back the knob out and tighten the allen screw to drop the POI real far.

The 6 power is not a problem cause this is not my hunting gun. For my fun guns, if it would help costwise, I could use a fixed, high power scope because they are always used near max magnification anyway.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It comes with 2 sets of knobs. Is there any real world difference between the sets other than the larger diameter where you grip the knob?
The target knobs can be covered with the caps that come with it, and the other knobs will be exposed.

Quote:
I assume that after you zero the gun, you can loosen the allen screw and return the knob to zero, regardless of number of turn you moved it.
You are correct

Quote:
Also, I guess it is also possible that you may have to back the knob out and tighten the allen screw to drop the POI real far.
Don't follow you here.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

As far as resetting the zero, all you are able to set is the 6 MOA on the knob itself. When you take the allen screw out you simply slip the knob off, turn it so the zero is next to the indicator on the scope (little hash mark), then you slip the know back on and reinstall the allen screw. You have a full range (40MOA) adjustment available w/o touching the allen screw. When You count your clicks, you will need to keep track of how many revolutions you made or remember which revolution line was exposed below the knob cap.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Bronze Member

I had a chance to pick one of these up for 15% off. But it was without the box and without the larger knobs or the sunscreen. I dont know how much those items would be worth to me, but I have decided to pass on it for now. Maybe, by the time I actually need the scope, I can find a sale at Bass Pro or I will at least have more points built up. Do Nikon scopes ever go on sale, I know the Leupolds rarely if ever do.

I am confused how the full 40 MOA adjustment can be made without taking the allen screw off. Is the 6MOA the horizontal lines shown on the elevation turret?