Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce website ATACR and B.E.A.S.T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 AM
Silver Member

Nightforce website ATACR and B.E.A.S.T

Check out the Nightforce website. The B.E.A.S.T and the ACACR are up. I cant wait to get my hands on the ACATR. Seems like the perfect long range hunting scope.

ATACR | Nightforce Optics, Inc.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 AM
Silver Member

Re: Nightforce website ATACR and B.E.A.S.T

I still find no logical reason for a 34mm tube unless for a very very select few that use a scope at or beyond 1 mile, and even that the extra 20 moa I get from a 34mm tube gives me like an extra 200 yards like from 1700 to 1900 yards. there has been a movement toward massive tubes and if bigger is better than why not. my point is what do they really offer. I understand the rifles these scopes are to be used on are far from light but at some point even a sniper has to wonder how much weight is really feasible to lug around and a 34mm tube just ads weight. I wish they offered a 40mm scope option which despite rumors looks as if they aren't going to this year. I have got to believe it would be a bigger seller than some of these niche optics they are making.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 AM

More light transmission and more elevation range seems like a logical reason for the 34mm tube to me.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

I have been holding off on the purchase of a nightforce, knowing something new was coming out. The ATACR would definitely fit the bill, for my build. I guess this all depends on the price point compared to the NXS. The ATACR has all the features of an NXS and then some. I like the 20 additional MOA, 34mm tube, and ED Glass. We will have to wait and see where they hit the market at. Myself, I do prefer the MOAR reticle.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures

Last edited by C.O. Shooter; 01-03-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Update:

I called and spoke to Nightforce. The ATACR, 2nd focal plane only, price point somewhere around $2400. Length is 14.3" and weighs in at 38.4 ounces. The BEAST, 1st focal plane only, price point somewhere around $3500. The length is 15.37 but I forgot to ask about the weight. Sorry. Availability is unknown at this time, however, may be sometime after SHOT 2013!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Gold Member

I've been eagerly awaiting for the release of these new scopes. I'm not sure they are worth the wait? The ATACR being offered in SFP only is a bad idea IMO. The whole point of the offered reticles is speed and versatility. It's not versatile if you can only use it on 1 power setting and its not faster. I believe FFP would better suit those reticle choices. I also don't like that they are only offered in 2 reticle choices. For ELR which is what these new scopes are marketed for I still think the fine reticle offered in the NPR1 would better serve my needs. If I could have a fine reticle, FFP, and 1 moa windage holds I'd be pretty happy. Since I can't I'll have to sacrifice the last 2 for the fine crosshair and stick with the NPR1 I guess. They are all great scopes!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

There have been a lot of guys waiting years to see what they come up with. It will be interesting to see real world reviews. Knowing NF, they will exceed even the 2+ years of expectations surrounding these new scopes.

As an aside, tube diameter does not increase light transmission.

Scot E.