Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce vs. leupold MK4.....need opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Gold Member

Nightforce vs. leupold MK4.....need opinions

Ok, looking for scope for 300 RUM.

would just like to hear your opinions, and thoughts between the two.

I have a mk4 4.5-14x50 on my .223 and like it. So, questions are get another one of these, which i don't really want to do, like the idea of owning different scopes, or...

I was thinking mk4 6.5-20, or nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS what do you think.

Some things about them. weight is somewhat of an issue to me, so the leupold is about 10 oz lighter, but those nightforces are AWESOME!!! I would like to try a nightforce, as all I have are leupolds. They are big for carrying around all day hunting... obviously I can't decide, so please throw out some opinions and or ideas...is the 6.5 to high a power to hunt with? can't decide..thanks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: Nightforce vs. leupold MK4.....need opinions

I have a 5.5-22X56 NXS with the MLR retical. It is an awsome scope [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. On the good side....the optics are bright, the target turret adjustments are dead on and repeatable, the side parallax adjusment is great, it is tough as boot, etc........

On the bad side. They are expensive, heavy, and the target turrets stick up high and make it hard to carry in a scabbard.

Never used a MK4, but have several other Leupolds, they are excellent scopes as well.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

If you want a scope as bomb proof and reliable as a NF, and weight is a concern try the original Mark 4 fixed power scopes. They are lighter due to less mechanical functions and smaller objectives, more reliable than variables and are more clear due to having simpler lenses without the variable power. They will cost you as much as a nightforce. I use them both and love them each for their indavidual qualities. They are both AWESOME scopes.

If youre dead set on something new and weight is concerning you try the 3.5-15x50mm or the 5.5-22x50mm. Believe it or not that 6mm makes a big differance on bulk and weight.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

i don't really have access to nightforces, so not sure about turret size, do they stick up that much higher than the leupold mk4's turrets? didn't even think about that..

good stuff, forsure want variable power!

I am going with the 50mm bell, thanks for that heads up..

do you guys think that the high quality aluminum rings would hold the nightforce where it's supposed to be with the 300rum?
I could save some weight there, and go with the nightforce over the leupold..

overall it sounds like you guys love the nightforce..
Old 02-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Gold Member

I agree with Michele on the 50mm versus the 56mm Nightforce. I will soon have another NF on order (as soon as Kirby gets my new rifle ready) I will be going with the 5.5-22X50mm this time rather than the 56mm.

I think the turrets are going to be about the same for both the MK4 and the NF.

Using the NF lightweight rings will cut some of that weight gain from the NF scope. The only negative to them is cost. They are the lightest rings I know of that I would reccomend to hold up a heavy scope with magnum recoil.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:19 PM
SPONSOR

I haven't use a NF but too many people have too many good things to say about them for them not to be as advertised. There is nothing wrong w/the Mark 4 though. I've got one and love it. If it's money your worried about, go w/the VX-III. Same quality as the Mark 4 but much cheaper. Probably not as tough, but do plan on abusing it?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

I own three Nightforce NXS scopes. One 5.5x22x56 and two 12x42x56. I also own two Leupolds a MK4 4.5x14x50 and the V1 4.5x14x40. BY FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Nightforce NXS scopes are much better. Buy the Nightforce 5.5x22x56 NXS, and I bet you will never want another Leupold again. Nightforce optics are much clearer, and blow Leupolds away. Thanks, Wildcat