Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce vs ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Nightforce vs ???

Interesting reply thanks. Seems like Leupolds aren't chosen as often as NF, Sightrons and others. Any reason?
Old 10-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

+1 gilmillan1

I'm sure Leupold sells more scopes than all others combined. Truly, they are their own biggest competition.
Their Mk4 line is comparable to NXS.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Silver Member

As you have already figured out, there are LOTS of great scopes out there. The thing to remember is price differences. I really like my NF NXS scopes but since I started using the Steiner 3-15X50 Military scopes earlier this year, I prefer the Steiner to the NF right now. Of course there is a big price difference as well. You can take a look at the Leupold Mark 4 series, Vortex, Sightron, Schmidt & Bender, Hensoldt, Steiner, etc. until your eyes go blind, but until you determine how much you are willing to spend, there will be somebody pointing you toward another more expensive scope that is "better." Heck, take a look at the tracking point rifle/scope combo if you have the coin. For my purposes, Leupold, NF, and Steiner have been as reliable in competition and hunting as anything I can imagine. I've had problems with other big name brands, these three have been the most consistent and reliable from a multitude of functions. Good luck with your quest.

Geb
Old 10-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Bronze Member

Good information, again- thanks.

I obviously have some more info to gather, scopes to look through etc. Up until now most of my long range shooting has been done off the bench with a Weaver T36. Not a bad combo at all, has been very effective so far but not exactly a good set up for field work.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

The best optic I've had my hands on and shot for long range hunting is the Nightforce ATACR, unfortunately don't own one yet! I've replace all my Leupold with Vortex and could not be happier, a friend has replaced his MK4's with Vortex PST's and is very happy! My hunting partner runs some Sightron SIII and I like it a lot for ranges that just exceed what the Vortex can dial. None of these are even close to a ATACR, IMO!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Bronze Member

It's really hard to beat the Sightron SIII. Having looked through the lower end Nightforce optics, I' go with the SIII. Leupolds have gone downhill in my opinion.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply.

Earlier it was noted that the Nightforce is often picked for lr work not because it has the best glass, but is rugged and has the features needed for field work and engaging targets at ukds.

How do you think the Sightron holds up in comparison?