Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce or Vortex Razor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Nightforce or Vortex Razor

I have decided to go with the NXS 5.5-22. Has anyone had any experience with the difference between the 50mm and 56mm. Do you think the light gathering capability of the 56 is worth the height increase?
Old 06-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Gold Member

I dont have any experience with the 56mm but have zero complaints with my 50mm and it still fits in my scabbord and eberkestock packs a 56 wouldnt. I asked my gunsmith this question when buying my scope, he has lots of expierence with nf, and he said to use the 50. If I was going to 56mm get the atacr and get the higher mag and larger main tube with better glass, in the nxs id stick with 50mm.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info, I'm leaning toward the 50mm.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:04 PM
Gold Member

I'm in a similar position with needing to figure out which scope to run on a new long range build. For a hunting rifle and if I go with a NF, I think the right answer is the 5.5-22x50mm. But all NF's are so heavy. Before I make a purchase I am going to mount a Vortex Viper PST that I already own. Do load development and some initial long range practice. Curious how that scope will work out even though the glass is obviously lesser quality. I'm wondering if it will be good enough for a hunting specific rifle, and quite a bit lighter.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:47 PM
Bronze Member

I'm sure it will do fine. I have a super light setup that I use for some hunts but I prefer my heavier ones, they are just so much easier to shoot.

I have spoken to several people about the 50mm and 56mm and some think I am sacrificing with the 50mm as far as light gathering with a 22 power scope. Does anyone have any side by side comparisons with the two scopes?
Old 06-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Gold Member

Let me ask a question to those who think that the reticle is too thin on XYZ scope and it gets lost in the "clutter". Have you ever considered turning on your lighted reticle? The battery is probably good for a couple thousand hours....turn it on at the beginning of season.....turn it off after. Cost is about three dollars to replace.

Just wondering if that would help, as I don't have that issue. Then you would have the best of both "worlds"...a good hunting reticle and a good target reticle!!

Again....just asking,

Tod
Old 06-09-2014, 06:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
Let me ask a question to those who think that the reticle is too thin on XYZ scope and it gets lost in the "clutter". Have you ever considered turning on your lighted reticle? The battery is probably good for a couple thousand hours....turn it on at the beginning of season.....turn it off after. Cost is about three dollars to replace.

Just wondering if that would help, as I don't have that issue. Then you would have the best of both "worlds"...a good hunting reticle and a good target reticle!!

Again....just asking,

Tod
On my ATACR, the illuminated reticle is amazing in the twilight hours especially in the timber when branches begin to make the black reticle hard to see. One nice thing about the standard MOAR illuminated reticle is that the entire reticle glows red. But I believe that with the MOAR-T, only the middle "+" glows red, so a much smaller red pattern for your eye to register. I have not used the MOAR-T, so I am only speculating. I would guess that just the "+" glowing red would be sufficient in the timber in low light conditions.

Based on the batteries, they will die after a day or two of being left on. But easy enough to just turn on/off whenever you want. So you do bring up a good point that the illuminated reticle would probably be the solution to the thinner reticle... I would like to try it out the MOAR-T and just get some experience with it before I made the switch. Overall I do not feel that the standard MOAR is too thick, but that is a factor of how I hunt/shoot as well.