Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce Scope/Nightforce Rings Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Silver Member

Nightforce Scope/Nightforce Rings Question

I have a new NXS 5.5x22x56 scope and am waiting on the ultralight Nightforce rings to come in. This is my first Nightforce scope but on other scope/ring combinations (except when using the Burris Signature Zee rings w/inserts) I have always lined the inside of the rings with the blue 3M painters tape to prevent ring marks on the scope tube. This has served me exceptionally well with absolutely no problems and no ring marks whatsoever. The question I have is should I use the tape on the Nightforce rings or just use them as they are. I just want to protect the finish on the scope tube.
Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations and advice.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Nightforce Scope/Nightforce Rings Question

If you have found something that works for you and has no issues, why would you not continue to use the blue 3M painters tape?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

I actually talked to a gentleman at Nightforce who told me that the Nightforce rings were designed with such close tolerances that he would not reccomend putting the 3M painters tape on the inside of the rings. I personally have had outstanding success with putting the tape on the rings and hesitate to just put the "bare" rings on this expensive scope. Maybe I should just try the tape and see what happens. Thanks again for any and all replys.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

I just mounted 2 nightforce scopes last night in their rings and they fit like a glove. Bought them from Bob Beck and he had them in rings also and there is not a mark on them.. I would say let it fly...
Old 03-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quality rings and bases are a whole different ball game. The quality of the product and machining is very good. The scope tube is to spec, as is the ID of the ring. Adding anything to the inside diameter of the ring will make the bore smaller and upset the matching of the two. I would clean them and mount it up like the NF directions say to do. I have mounted many with no issues. If you do not over torque , or twist the scope with ring pressure on the tube, I doubt you will have any ring marks. At least this has been my experience.

Jeff
Old 03-30-2013, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

I just mounted my new 5.5-22 nxs in the new ultra light rings.no tape and its perfect. Honestly couldnt be happier with the combination. That scope fits in those rings so perfect its scary!
Old 03-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys for your replys. I believe I will just use the rings without the tape since it has worked for you without scope ring marks on the scope tube. NowI just wish those rings would get hear so I can mount that beauty on the 300 RUM!!