Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce ring height for 56mm scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 PM

Nightforce ring height for 56mm scope?

Hey everyone, well im slowly but surely getting all the info i need to set up my new Sendero SF 2 in 7mm rem mag, a few days ago i ordered a jewell trigger set at 1lb. for it, and the proper torque t handle to reinstall my h.s. precision stock to 65 in/lbs., after i get the trigger in. I have decided to go ahead and spend the money and get a 3.5-15 nightforce scope, but when i talked to the tech. at NF he said i should go with a 56mm objective instead of the 50mm i had planned on. He told me that i should mount it with the shortest ring height they have which is .885.....which he said should be enough clearance for the 56mm objective. I was reading through some posts last night, and it seems like i read where someone had a sendero with the exact same setup-the low rings and 56mm objective, they said it cleared but they had to cut out the bottom of the objective dust cover that slides over it. I dont mind going with the 56mm, but i dont want my scope that close to the barrel, where i have to cut on whatever objective cover i get. Im just needing a second opinion about what objective, or what ring height i should go with on the 50 or 56mm NF. This is the first long range rifle ive ever set up so i want it to be right, and i know u guys proly have seen this setup or have advice about what i need. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Nightforce ring height for 56mm scope?

Personally, I would go with the 1" high rings. The OD of the 56 is actually 60something, don't remember exactly. Granted, the 30 mm tube helps lift it a little, and a 0 minute one piece rail will lift it above the barrel a little too.

Kirby recommended the 1" lift in my case. I'd rather have a tad too much lift then have to cut stuff or not be able to put on a lense cover.

If we do the math, Let's say the objective diameter is 69 mm. 1/2 of that is below the centerline of the scope...........so we're looking at 1.358" of scope below the centerline. The one piece mounts I've seen are about 3/8" above the top of the action. So in theory, a 1" ring is minumum assuming a heavy straight contour barrel.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

I agree with Bruce! I have a 300RUM Sendero/wNF 56 0 MOA base low Talley 1 piece ring-base, and there is just enough room for a scope cover my wife made for me! Which I love. Bill Maylor..
Old 01-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Gold Member

I have a Savage 7mm Rem Mag with a McGowen stainless steel match barrel in varmint contour. The muzzle is .800". I have the 56mm 5.5-22 Nightforce with a 20 MOA base. I went with the 1.125" rings. I MAY have been able to squeeze a 1.00" set of rings on mine, but it would be close to the barrel. It all depends on your barrel contour and your base. If you have a flat base, and a sporter barrel, then you would probably be ok. I just dont want my scope barely clearing the barrel.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:53 PM

I appreciate the help, and i know yall r explaining it correctly, i just dont understand everything like minute of angle, and i dont really know what the contour of my barrel is exactly. It is a stock sendero sf 2 barrel, and i plan on going with the 20 m.o.a. nf one piece base, i shoulda said that on my first post, i know. So if i go with the 3.5-15x56mm scope with the one piece nf base, i should go with the 1.00 or 1.125 rings...or higher to be on the safe side? Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamb390 View Post
I appreciate the help, and i know yall r explaining it correctly, i just dont understand everything like minute of angle, and i dont really know what the contour of my barrel is exactly. It is a stock sendero sf 2 barrel, and i plan on going with the 20 m.o.a. nf one piece base, i shoulda said that on my first post, i know. So if i go with the 3.5-15x56mm scope with the one piece nf base, i should go with the 1.00 or 1.125 rings...or higher to be on the safe side? Thanks again!
I think 1.125" would be max. You should be fine with that. You could even probably get by with the 1 inch. I do believe that anything shorter would be getting it very close though. Just my .02.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 PM

Alright, gotcha. Thanks for the help!