Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce power range at DUSK??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2003, 11:02 AM
Silver Member

Nightforce power range at DUSK??

I typically see many more shots available at dusk then any other time. I have a 4-16Burris which will do great on 6x+/-, up to say 12x at this time of day. I now have a Nightforce 8-32x NXS scope, and would like to know what MAXIMUM power you guys have been able to get them dialed up to, before they went dark on you? I will probably be using them both on several heavy rigs, which will most likely always be planted on the bench, when I shoot crop damage permits, so I will be stable, and stationary. That being said, if I am looking at one corner at about 330yds, what kind of power can I expect to use with a good clear sight picture just before dark?

let's say at 100yds, 200yds, 300yds, 500yds.

Thanks for any input.
Justin
Old 01-30-2003, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Nightforce power range at DUSK??

Justin,
Can't answer your question directly, but I think I can offer some input with a similar situation.....

Last year we had a "night match" at the NC 1,000yd Benchrest Club that lasted up until midnight. We had dim lights at the benches so you could see what you were doing to get setup then the rheostat(sp?) was turned way down when firing began. Then the only lights you can see were out on the targets. With this setup at 1000yds I used a NightForce 12-42X on my HG and a Weaver "T" model 24X power and looked through most other brands of scope up/down the line to "see" how well you could see the clay pigeons we were shooting at. The NightForce scopes were the hands down winner for seeing. I'll admit my Weaver scope on my LG did really good also and I easily spotted my own impacts with 6.5 caliber bullets. But that big 56mm lens gathered more light and you could see better with the NF scope better than the others. Don't get me wrong the other shooters could see and fired during the match. It was simply a matter of how well one could see over the next.

Now during actual firing with my HG (w/ the 12-42X NF scope) at 10pm I had my scope set on mid 30X power range. That gave me the best view of the impact area. Higher and I lost light. I could still see but I thought I could see better at mid 30 power range. Can't remember the exact setting though. I did put it on 36X once to compare it directly with a Leupold 36X 1 for 1. But I backed it down a little before shooting though.

I'll try to post a picture of the target area I took when it was all lit up, so you can see what I was looking at.

Hope this helped somewhat.

Steve
Old 01-30-2003, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Steve.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

JustC,
Here's the pic of the target area I took. So there was dim light at the firing line so you could see to load and shoot and for safety reasons..... then complete darkness from 0 -> 995yds... And then the targets all lit up from lights mounted on telephone poles on each end of the impact area and smaller flood lights in between each target about 20 ft in front behind railroad ties.

Steve

Old 01-31-2003, 10:15 PM

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 02-01-2003, 12:27 AM
Silver Member

thanks again.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

thank you for that info S1. I will keep that formula for my reference.