Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce Ocular Housing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Nightforce Ocular Housing?

4ked horn,
Thanks for the warm welcome and hello to you sir. Everybody here on the board seems to be good people so I figured I'd just ask everybody if they had ran into the same situation as I on the flip-ups w/ the NXS.

jb100br,
The advancement of the ocular lens has not been my problem, it's the flip-up scope cover that gets in the way of the bolt sometimes. The ocular housing on my NXS 5.5-22 goes through 180 deg. of rotation through the power range. It just kind of sucks cuz there is really no good index point to use when installing flip-ups.

goodgrouper,
You are right about the leupolds and somebody there was thinking for once, too bad NF wasn't on the same page in respect to lens covers. I mean with the price of their glass they should know that anybody with a brain is going to protect their investment. Nice 820YD Cow Elk by the way, impressive, congratulations. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Murf
Old 03-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

Howdy Murf, Wellcome to the dog pile! Having only owned one Nightforce scope, the only downside I found was not having a gunbearer to carry the extra weight of the scope. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Murf--havent actually shot my 5-22 yet, sleeting today [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] hopefully get to on monday.

try setting the cap straight up on 11 power -- see how that works.

I'll paly with mine this weekend (the scope that is) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

JB
Old 03-26-2005, 12:59 AM

I am not familiar at all with this stated problem; and apprently neither is John Brewer, winner of the U.S. National F-Class Championship in October, 2004 or his 6.5 x 284.

John is a member of the U.S. F-Class Rifle Team, and will soon depart for South Africa to compete in the World F-Class Championships. The chosen scope? As you can see, Night Force, Night Force, Night Force and yep, Night Force.

Night Force isn't heavier than any Leupold or Schmidt Bender and sits atop all of my rifles.

If you are interested in more information regarding the Team, here is their contact information.

U.S. F-Class Rifle Team
P.O. Box 372307
El Paso, TX 79937-2307
Old 03-26-2005, 01:10 AM
Bronze Member

W,
What were talking about here is that on the NXS, when you adjust the power ring, everything from the ring back turns too. Do you have an NXS that doesn't do this, if so how old is it, just curious maybe they have fixed this problem.

Murf
Old 03-26-2005, 10:44 AM

Murph: I see what you are talking about... Yes, it does move. However in my opinion there is not a performance issue. But yeah, you are right, it does.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Bronze Member

W,
You are right about no performance issue, this is by far the best damn scope $1200 can buy IMHO. I wouldn't mount anything but a NF on my rifles. Ruggedness, repeatability, clarity, features and ease of use are all wrapped up in the NF line.
I guess the only gripe I have is my rear flip-up turning and getting in the way sometimes, I'll live with it and when funds permit, buy more of 'em! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Murf