Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce Ocular Housing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Bronze Member

Nightforce Ocular Housing?

When adjusting the power setting on my nightforce NXS, the whole ocular housing rotates with the power ring. When I spoke with one of the Nightforce guys a couple of years ago about this, he stated that it had never been brought to their attention before and he was going to ask their engineering guy about it, but never heard anything more from them. I noticed it when adjusting the power with my butler creek flip ups installed. I think it kind of sucks myself and was wondering why the NXS was designed this way. Are the NXS scopes the only ones to do this or is there another maker using this power setting design also.

Just thought I might ask, it's been bugging me for a long time! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Murf
Old 03-21-2005, 09:03 PM

Re: Nightforce Ocular Housing?

i noticed that myself, so i set the power in the middle before slipping the cover on it. there has been a time when the bolt handle has hit it. kinda weird set up
Old 03-21-2005, 10:44 PM
Bronze Member

Striker,

Exactly, I just wanted to be sure I'm not crazy or anything. It's nice to hear that somebody else has pondered the same question! What in the heck were they thinking???

Murf
Old 03-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have anything to add to what you two guys are talking about since I have only even looked through one Nightforce scope in my life but I wanted to jump in and say welcome to the LRH forums to both of you.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

That, the weight, and 56mm objective are the big weaknesses in NF w/regard to practicality.
There are flip-ups which can rotate freely when installed. I bought a set for my NF, but they didn't fit. So I stuck, like you.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

I called NF on this, and they said the thread pitch is fine enough that it doesnt cause enough edvancement to make it an issue.

JB
Old 03-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, this is bad designing in my book. On the other end of the scope, look at how many scope companies have adjustable objectives that rotate the entire bell housing causing the same problem with scope covers on the objective lens! Someone at Leupold was using their head about this because neither their eyepiece nor their objective interferes with scope covers.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.