Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce NXS series scope power and reticle choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 07:39 AM
Silver Member

Re: Nightforce NXS series scope power and reticle choice

Hey guys also what is the difference in the zero stop model and the non zero stop model? Is one better than the other? Do I need the zero stop model? Also what is the difference in the standard turrets and the high speed turrets?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Silver Member

Hey another thing I forgot to mention on the power recommendation question is the scope will be mounted atop a nightforce one piece steel base with 40 moa built into the base! Should I still run the 5.5-22 or can I get away with something a little stronger now like the 8-32 or is there even a need for something that powerful? I would like to be able to zoom up that high on a whitetail or an elk while hunting but what about mirage? What have you guys actually ran into in the field? If I can't turn past 25 without seeing nothing but blur from mirage no need in the extra power but I've never looked through a nightforce yet so I don't know how well they cope with mirage versus a leupold.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Gold Member

Wit a 40 MOA rail, you may not have enough scope travel to get a usfull close in zero with the 8-32x....you might run out of adjustment trying to get a 100 - 300 yard zero. With the 5.5-22, you will have enough vertical to get your close in zero, and enough magnification to shoot 2000 yards.

Just my .02

Tod
Old 02-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

Thanks. Is that too much rail? Should I go 20 moa or is that perfect for shooting out to 2K?
Old 02-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Silver Member

I would keep the 40moa rail. I would definitely go with the zerostop, and I prefer the hi-speed turrets. I have owned both the regular 10moa per rotation and the hi-speed 20moa per rotation turrets. They both adjust well but the hi-speed turrets are easier to read in a hunting situation without glasses. It is also easier to keep up with your number of turret rotations with the hi-speed ones. Gary Campbell
Old 02-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys. What about in a mil version, what mil reticle is the best?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

I plan on buying an NSX 8-32x56 1/10 click, Zero-Stop, MOAR reticle.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.