Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

NightForce NXS 12-42x56 Illuminated NP-R2 Reticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2004, 01:59 AM
Silver Member

Re: NightForce NXS 12-42x56 Illuminated NP-R2 Reticle

Speedbump-

Tried bumping you the other day on your old e-mail addy...came back. Did you switch ISPs?
Old 01-11-2004, 02:35 AM

Hi Big John!!!

Solid stuff!! Makes a lot of sense. No wonder the 8x42mm PSOP on my Drgunov is so clear!!! I was watching David Tubb's video today and was doing some calulations but myself [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

My mate had a Nightforce with the sexy NPR2 reticle on his TRG42. We shot side by side. Of course my Blaser outshot his TRG [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] but I couldn't find anything better on his Nightforce when I had a go with it.

And you're right about the weight of the Nightforce.

Re 4" shades: Do you think shades will help clarity at high magnification or are there lens filters like in SLR cameras to brighten things?

[ 01-11-2004: Message edited by: ScREWtop ]
Old 01-11-2004, 04:44 AM

Hi All, I just stumbled on to this board by searching for scope mounting. I have just ordered a Nightforce 5.5x22. I am going to mount it to a Rem.VS.308. I am about to orded rings and bases. I am looking strongly toeard the G-Force mount (20moa), and a pair of ARMS throw lever rings.(I want to quick change to Starlite). The Nightforce catalog says "no" to the adj. rings. Anyone have experience. Also, what height rings are req'd for the 56mm bell and 20moa down angle.
Whew that was long... KaBoom
Old 01-11-2004, 09:14 AM
Silver Member

Magdude,

Yeah, same prefix, but different ISP:

speedbump3785@mchsi.com

Glad to hear you're still among the living!
Old 01-11-2004, 06:01 PM

I find that 4'' sunshades darken the sight picture too much and therefore, use only 2 1/2" shades. I keep a threaded on both ends 4 inch shade in the ruck for extreme circumstances such as fresh snow in bright sunlight, but the vast majority of the time the 2 1/2" shade works best. Even during night fire I only have to remove it on moonless nights to see the targets, with the magnification set on the lower powers - of course.

I am aware of no add on filters to enhance image brilliance outside of nighttime observation devices, but know that Leupold used something they call "Multicoat 4" that is supposed to serve the same purpose. It's nothing you have to buy, all Leupies ship with it applied at the factory.

In short, I don't see a magical or mechanical solution to solving your problem of darker image at ultra high magnification. It's all a matter of engineering, and the only way the engineers can brighten the image is to increase the size of the objective or decrease the maximum magnification. Again, a give and take scenario, and no gain comes without a cost.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:12 PM

Thanks again Big John! Actually, I'm quite happy with my Leupie 20x50x [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I normally use it at a tad below 50x magnification for 1000 yards. I find that I can't focus at max power and it is too dark. But I have never used it at lowest setting (20x) because I don't need too. The mirage is OK too.

KaBoom, I have a set of Arms throw level rings and I think they work well with assualt rifles, not sure about them on bolt action rifles. There are other quick release rings which are better I think.

[ 01-11-2004: Message edited by: ScREWtop ]
Old 01-12-2004, 01:52 PM

In regards to not being able to focus at maximum power, try and adjust your cheekweld. Focus the scope as best you can on the distant target then move your head slightly back and forth over the comb of the stock without adjusting the parallax adjustment, if that does not work, then play with the parallax adjustment while finding the "sweet spot" cheekweld. It will focus right for you [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Also check your ocular lens adjustment too.

Some scope models are not as forgiving when it comes down to proper eye relief. I recently T&E'ed a Nikon Tactical and found that it was very unforgiving as far as focusing and eye relief were concerned. ( But overall quite a nice scope ) Remember the human eye is a series of lenses too, and the parallax adjustment on us is to change our perspective of what is being viewed.