Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce NSX 5,5-22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Gold Member
Below is a post I made several months ago about experience with Leupold. Keep in mind I have an assortment of 6 Leupolds in my gun cabinent right now. However, after looking through a NF, there is no comparison IMO.

My Dad and I bought a pair of them (6.5-20 x 50 long range) last winter. Early this Spring, Dad's had something go wrong internally. At 200 yards, a 3MOA adjustment moved POI exactly 3"! This was very clear and repeatable.

He sent it to Leupold. After waiting 3-4 weeks it came back with paperwork implying that nothing was wrong with it. However, after mounting it and test firing it, it worked fine under the same circumstances. When he called Leupold to inquire what they had fixed the response was, "Just take it and shoot it. Let us know if something is wrong." Very poor customer service.

After about 20 rounds on his 6.5WM Sendero, it screwed up again. This time when making a vertical adjustment, the entire erector assembly was screwing out of the scope! That was the last straw with him and fortunately the Gander Mountain where we bought them gave him a refund. Up to this point, my scope had worked flawlessly. Dad now has a Nightforce.

Within a couple days, my scope had the exact same problem with the erector assembly backing out of the scope when making vertical adjustments. Gander Mountain refused to give me a refund until I had sent it back to Leupold at least once (fair enough). I called and talked to the manager of technical services and gave it to him with both barrels. To be fair they did respond quickly. They sent me a UPS shipper and had the scope back in my hands with a test target in about 5 business days. That was about three weeks ago and the scope is still working fine.

Take that for what it's worth........

To be fair, the scope has functioned fine for a couple months now.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member

Unread 09-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Forgive me but I have to say, I don't believe a damn bit of it..
Get yourself a collimator and start checking scopes. It happens. With most good ones it's only a fraction of an MOA and certainly wouldn't be noticed in normal use. Sort of like the POI moving as the power is changed on a SFP scope--it will if everything isn't aligned perfectly. In most cases with good scopes it'll be so little you'll never notice. If a scope has something out of alignment, it might be bigger.
Unread 10-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Silver Member
Nightforce turret ?

I know you can reset the turrets to zero . My BR Nightforce in zero is 6.X and I can reset it to read 6.0. Can you reset the NXS to read 0.0 and not 6.0 or can you only reset the minor number ? I hope I made it clear,

Unread 12-24-2014, 05:31 PM
Silver Member
Location: I'm NOT a patriot... I am a U.S. Constitutionalist until they kill me.
Re: Nightforce NSX 5,5-22

Originally Posted by shiredude View Post
I bought one back in july. once I got over the sticker shock, I could not be happier. You get what you pay for. I will have a couple of more in the near future, I am that impressed.
It went down the same way with me. It set me back to buy it but I NEVER once regretted it. It made shooting past 1k much easier for me.