Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce new Velocity reticles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Nightforce new Velocity reticles

Anyone got any opinion on the new Velocity reticles available from Nightforce for the compact range of scopes?

Seems they come in three designs. One for fast, medium and slow velocity loads out to 600 yards. They look like a clean and easy to use system.

Obviously they could not match exactly every load but with this selection, there should be one that comes close enough for most rifles to obtain a hunting trajectory out to 600 yards?

Is it as good as dial and shoot? Would you be better off with the R2 type with 2 moa increment marks that you can develope a drop chart for to match an individual load?

Any thoughts?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Nightforce new Velocity reticles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
Anyone got any opinion on the new Velocity reticles available from Nightforce for the compact range of scopes?

Seems they come in three designs. One for fast, medium and slow velocity loads out to 600 yards. They look like a clean and easy to use system.

Obviously they could not match exactly every load but with this selection, there should be one that comes close enough for most rifles to obtain a hunting trajectory out to 600 yards?

Is it as good as dial and shoot? Would you be better off with the R2 type with 2 moa increment marks that you can develope a drop chart for to match an individual load?

Any thoughts?
I have a hole in my arsenal for a dangerous game rifle. It will be either a 375Ruger or 375 H&H and will have a small Nightforce with the Velocity reticle on it. I think for what they are designed to do, they would be a great reticle.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Gold Member

Re: Nightforce new Velocity reticles

I am having a 338 rum built by Defensive Edge that will be wearing the Nightforce 2.5x10x32 with the Velocity Reticule. I got the zero stop so I can dial in if needed. I talked to both Shawn and the rep from nightforce - for my use - up to 600 to 800 yards-they both felt this was the best choice. The rifle will have a 26" barrel - #5 contour- fluted with a DE break. I plan on shooting 225 grain bullets. Check out the calculator Nightforce has on their web site.
I hope to see my gun sometime in October.
Hope this helps

Last edited by MN Hunter; 08-25-2009 at 11:53 AM.