Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce MOAR Reticle: Your thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Bronze Member

Nightforce MOAR Reticle: Your thoughts

I just bought a NF scope with the MOAR reticle.
The center cross hair is .140 MOA, where as the NPR1 & 2 are .060 MOA I think.
It's hard for me to get used to the thicker reticle on the MOAR.
I've read that some guys thought that the .060 MOA reticles were too thin.

Your thoughts?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Nightforce MOAR Reticle: Your thoughts

A finer reticle is what I'm looking for. Right around high 600 yards a Zeiss conquest rapid Z-800 reticle washes out a precise vital hold on a target antelope sized and smaller on 14 power. Lesser power even moreso. I looked at the MOAR and found it to be even slightly heavier than the Rapid Z. I suppose it is a great choice for those with poor night time vision, or those that desire a quicker target acquisition, or have acquisition issues with a smaller reticle. For my taste the MOAR is simply too heavy...it drives me berzerk to have the reticle wash out a precise target hold (especially for dead on shooting. I took out a scope with NP-R1 reticle on the lowest brightness setting and it stood out fine enough to see it against targets placed in the shadows of the woods so I cannot imagine it will be a hindrance in the hunting woods as most suggest that lighted reticles are. In the daylight I rather enjoy the precision of the NP-R1 reticle, which will be the next choice for me a 5.5-22 with an NP-R1 in it.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnhardt View Post
I just bought a NF scope with the MOAR reticle.
The center cross hair is .140 MOA, where as the NPR1 & 2 are .060 MOA I think.
It's hard for me to get used to the thicker reticle on the MOAR.
I've read that some guys thought that the .060 MOA reticles were too thin.

Your thoughts?
I have been shooting the NP-R1 and 2 for years now. I was excited about the MOAR until I read about its thickness of subtensions. I will be ordering a new scope soon for my latest LR build. It will be another NP-R1. I have never found the R1 to be too thin. I like thin for my LR work.

Jeff
Old 09-28-2012, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member

I am somewhat unfamiliar with the MOAR reticle, haven't seen one yet. If it's in a FFP scope, I personally wouldn't mind that thickness at all. Especially in an "all around" scope........meaning some prarie dogs, some coyotes, some big game, some steel and paper, and for ranges from 100 yds to 1000 yds.

If I did the math correctly, it would cover ~1.5" at 1000 yds or 2 1/8" at the corners of the intersection. I've always felt the NPR1 (even though I love the reticle-especially in the 5-22) is just a little too fine for my eyes in low light. When it's first light or last light, or if the sun is directly in my face, I need to light the reticle for best aquisition.

I can see how the very center of it would appear to cover quite a bit at 1000 yds and more though. There wouldn't be much left of a 3" diameter aiming dot (7/8"), or prarie dog for that matter at 1000 yds. Perhaps if the very center of the reticle was a floating dot that only measured .140 MOA, and a little spacing before the "wires" started.........?? that coverage amount maybe wouldn't appear to be so thick. Still though, it's quite a bit finer than some other supposed long range scopes offer. ????????? Count me as undecided on this one.

Last edited by SBruce; 09-28-2012 at 02:38 AM. Reason: math
Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

I actually went with the G7 version of the Nightforce with the thicker Reticle for this reason. While my finer NF reticles, NPR1 and 2 were ok when lighting conditions a were good, for me they washed out in lower light conditions/shadows; don't like lighting them up, even at the lowest setting, just me. I'm primarily a mulie, whitetail, coyote hunter. I have had no problem at all resolving the vitals of a coyote well past 1000 yards, certainly good enough for resolving the vitals of larger game at any range I would ever shoot at. Both reticles will do the job, I think much of this is a personal preference and what you are used to. I started out my long range shooting with a Mark4 3.5x10 with a .2 substention Mildot years ago and never had a problem resolving and hitting pretty small targets at the ranges I use twice the power and finer reticles today. My eyes were a little better than though. IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 09-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I actually went with the G7 version of the Nightforce with the thicker Reticle for this reason. While my finer NF reticles, NPR1 and 2 were ok when lighting conditions a were good, for me they washed out in lower light conditions/shadows; don't like lighting them up, even at the lowest setting, just me. I'm primarily a mulie, whitetail, coyote hunter. I have had no problem at all resolving the vitals of a coyote well past 1000 yards, certainly good enough for resolving the vitals of larger game at any range I would ever shoot at. Both reticles will do the job, I think much of this is a personal preference and what you are used to. I started out my long range shooting with a Mark4 3.5x10 with a .2 substention Mildot years ago and never had a problem resolving and hitting pretty small targets at the ranges I use twice the power and finer reticles today. My eyes were a little better than though. IMHO.
How thick are the center crosshair subtensions on the G7 Nightforce?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnhardt View Post
How thick are the center crosshair subtensions on the G7 Nightforce?
I believe them to be the same as the MOAR.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt