Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce MOAR reticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 PM

Nightforce MOAR reticle

Another new guy here with a question for the experts. Im about to pull the trigger on a new Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x56. I cannot decide whether to go with the MOAR or NPR1 reticle. The scope will sit atop a Browning xbolt .270 Winchester for now. It will be used exclusively for hunting big game.

I would appreciate hearing from any of you guys that have experience with these reticles.

Will the MOAR cover up to much target when I eventually start extending the shots? Will the NPR1 be hard to pick up in poor light or shadows?

I really want to get this right the first time.

Again, thanks for your help.

Rick
Old 11-21-2012, 12:46 AM
Gold Member

Re: Nightforce MOAR reticle

I have the MOAR 5.5x22x56 mounted on 7mm I personally have no problem with it out to 1000 yds on paper and steel. It is a little thicker than the npr1 but that is what I prefer. I know some of the guys on here think it is to heavy I think it is great. If you can find someone that has one or the other look through them and see for yourself what you like. Either way you can't go wrong it's a Nightforce. IMHO

Rick
Old 11-21-2012, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

click on it for a larger pic

Nightforce MOAR reticle-npr1-moar.jpg

As stated above, you can't go wrong with either one.

If there were to be a next NF for me it'd be the MOAR... My eyes need help!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
click on it for a larger pic

Attachment 14935

As stated above, you can't go wrong with either one.

If there were to be a next NF for me it'd be the MOAR... My eyes need help!

Eaglet,
Never thought of it that way, now I know why I like it. lmao Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Not sure if this will help but the NPR-1 will subtend to cover .625 at 1000 yards whereas the MOAR subtends to 1.4 inches at the same distance. So the MOAR covers just a bit over twice as much as the NPR-1.

On a lower powered scope like the 3-15 I would tend to lean to the MOAR because it will be easier to see in conditions where that is important. On the 5-22 it would be more of a tossup.

I think it also depends how far you intend to shoot and at what sized targets.
For stuff over 1k, and smaller targets, a finer reticles has its advantages. But its disadvantage is that you can loose it in twilight, dark vegetation or moving targets scenarios like you could get in dark timber.

It's all about managing the tradeoffs for YOUR shooting style and intended purpose.

Good Luck!

Scot E.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:26 PM

Thanks so much to rick523 and Eaglet for the info on the Moar. My NXS 3.5-15x56 MOAR is already on the UPS truck. The info from you guys helped tremendously.

ScotE, I had already placed the order earlier today for the new scope. But, your response sure made me feel better about the purchase.

I have never owned a Nightforce before, so Im checking the UPS tracking site regularly!

This is a fantastic site.......Sure glad I stumbled across it!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
Not sure if this will help but the NPR-1 will subtend to cover .625 at 1000 yards whereas the MOAR subtends to 1.4 inches at the same distance. So the MOAR covers just a bit over twice as much as the NPR-1.

On a lower powered scope like the 3-15 I would tend to lean to the MOAR because it will be easier to see in conditions where that is important. On the 5-22 it would be more of a tossup.

I think it also depends how far you intend to shoot and at what sized targets.
For stuff over 1k, and smaller targets, a finer reticles has its advantages. But its disadvantage is that you can loose it in twilight, dark vegetation or moving targets scenarios like you could get in dark timber.

It's all about managing the tradeoffs for YOUR shooting style and intended purpose.

Good Luck!

Scot E.
I "hear" your reasoning, one of them is 1/16" = 0.0625 and the other one is 1/8" = 0.125 so at 1000 yards would cover 0.625" and 1.25" respectively.

Unless your target is smaller than a square 1.25"x1.25" and you're shooting at 1000 yards it would not be good for you.

If you could hit a 5" diameter plate at 2000 yards, the reticle of the MOAR would still not be a hindrance. Not for me anyway! It would only cover a square of 2.5"x2.5".

Bottom line, I don't think the marksman that would be slowed down by the MOAR reticle has been born... Then again I could be wrong!

Happy Thanks Giving To All!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!