Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce MLR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Gold Member

Nightforce MLR

Been thinking of having a 2RR replaced with a MLR at Nightforce, anyone have any experience with their work, any problems or comments? This work would be on a 8-32X56 NXS.

db
Old 08-19-2006, 07:30 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Nightforce MLR

It is a good looking reticle. the only draw back to it that I can think of would be that to use it properly you need to learn how to use a Mil style reticle. I have sold several people MLR, Mil Dot, and TMR reticles, all basically the same thing, and so far I only know of one person who actually uses the reticle in any real way. And he is a sheriff sniper.

Be honest with yourself and figure out if you are really gonna learn to use the mil's correctly. If so then it will be a great one for ya. If not then I would say go with the NPR-2 reticle, it is MOA based and since most all of us think in MOA's anyway I love it. It is very easy to judge misses with this reticle as well as use it for drop compensation as opposed to click adjustments.

I guess what i am saying is most of us think in MOA's anyway so by going with a MOA based scope you eliminate the need to convert to mil's. besides I aint that good at math so the MOA reticle works best for me.

take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 08-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for the info. I too think in MOA most of the time. The thing I don't like about the R2 is the elevation is in 2 MOA and windage is in 5 MOA. You would think the elevation would at least be graduated in 1 MOA. This could make a difference when you really get out there. I usually don't like adjusting my scope and would rather hold over on a mark if I can get a good range reading, that's why the change, the 1RR dots are 4 MOA apart. Too far for me.
db
Old 08-20-2006, 08:53 AM

I believe that NF now has a reticle that has 1 moa spacing and 2 moa for windage, NP-R1.

Wayne aka WAMBO
Old 08-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Gold Member

Yeah I think you're right, although I haven't seen it on their web page. I already have a MLR in another NXS and would like to limit my level of confusion, ( I'm over 55 ). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I'm just concerned that there could be a problem if I send it in.
db
Old 08-20-2006, 12:54 PM
SPONSOR

When we first picked up the NF line and started selling them I heard how popular the NPR-2 reticle was. I also didnt like the idea of the elevation being in 2moa increments but after using it I can say it is not a big deal. Honestly how hard is to find the middle point inbetween two lines?? This point is 1 moa so it really isnt a handicap at all. The horizontal MOA's i would rather have in 2 moa increments though. The 5 MOA marks are definantly kind of a pain and I would rather have them closer.

THe NPR-1 reticle does have 2moa horizontal brackets but it also has 1moa verticle brackets. My only concern with this is that it may be a little too busy, kinda like the mlr or tmr reticles. I would just have to look through one to tell.

As for sending the scope in for the change I wouldnt have any worries about it. I have heard very good things about their customer service

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 08-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Gold Member

Let me ask you this, if an R1 is spaced in MOA wouldn't that be a bit crowded the farther out you go? I know the size of the reticle doesn't change in the NXS but the value does depending on the magnification.