Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce or Leupold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 06:44 AM
Silver Member

Nightforce or Leupold

Well I was looking @ scopes on Saturday and I'm stumped..

Leupold VX-L 6.5-20X56, US built, supposed to be very good quality, Mounts very low for a 56MM objective = $1580

Nightforce.. Built in Japan (this was a surprise to me), exellent reputation for repeatablity. $1600 - 2100.

So.. Which way to go.. I like the fact that Leupold is US built.. but they may just assembly components from off shore.

Night force sure are nice though..Are they worth the extra money????

I can probably save some more money on the VX-L if I buy out of the US as right now the is only one of the model I want of the Leupold in Canada.

Blygy
Old 01-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Nightforce or Leupold

Never owned a night force, but from my experiance with the 6.5-20-56 30mm vx-l go with the night force. The side focus on the vx-l I have is very particular and takes lots of time to adjust properly. Once things are clear through the scope, the crosshairs will move on the target with any head movement, requiring a readjustment to get the paralex out. I have tried adjusting the focus ring and this problem will not go away. I have to be very particular of my cheek weld in order to shoot a decent group. I did kill a nice 5x6 in new mexico using the vx-l, but am not really impressed with the scope. Maybe its just me, but I like my old vx3 6.5-20-50 better than the the vx-l.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:09 AM
SPONSOR

NF everytime.

The NF isn't built in Japan just some of the parts are built there. It is assembled in Idaho. The VXL does use the same coatings as the old LPS line so it should be better than the VXIII but the NF glass is @ least on par if not better and you get a better scope mechanically w/a far greater choice of reticles.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

NXS night force. In my opinion they cant be beat. I have been in they're plant and they showed me some tests that shows how tough they are, with excellent glass I dont think you can beat them. We built the house and personall shop for the vice president and he is a good guy. Met the pres that lives in australlia and seems like a nice guy.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

At one time I had both and had a chance to compare them side by side at an indoor range in low light. At 100 yards I could clearly read the range's phone number printed on the bottom of the target with the NF. With the Leupold I could not even read the range's name which was printed in much larger type. NF is worth the money. Also the construction is much sturdier and the knobs track more accurately. NF customer service is A+. When the new NP-R1 reticle came out, I sent my scopes back for a changeover and had them back on my desk in two weeks.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

It is going on a 6.5X 300 Winchester magnum.

Thanx for all the help.. I guess I'll save a few extra bucks for the nightforce..

Bill
Old 01-19-2007, 02:47 AM
Gold Member

i have two leupolds 8.5x25x50lr and they are good scopes but the glass is not what you would thank you would get in a 900.00 scope in low light it sucks. i'm selling both and going with NF 5.5x22x56