Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

Nightforce G7 help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 06-13-2013, 04:48 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Terre Haute In.
Posts: 696
Re: Nightforce G7 help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That will be a good deal, hope it all works out for you. I guess you must be planning a trip out West, going by the elevation you are at now. Good luck let us know how you make out. I'm waiting on June 30th to see if we got drawn for Mule deer and Antelope in Wy. If so will be there in September.
__________________
Rick

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-13-2013, 05:43 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,419
Re: Nightforce G7 help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm on board with the re-zero, but have also had situations where others have tried my rifle in the field, and POI was different due to the individual's shooting style, particularly with heavier calibers. The variation is typically vertical. Bipod loading, cheek weld, and how tight the butt is pulled into the shoulder seem to be variables. Last season a buddy shot my rifle and produced a comparable group to mine that was a foot high at 500 yards. When I told him to lighten his cheek weld, the impact points were very close to mine. Having said that, 8" at 200 yards seems like a lot. I generally leave about 2 MOA of room with my zero stop for re-zero when changing locations. The change is usually a couple of clicks, if any, at 200 yards. This is for a location change from East coast 300ft altitude to Wyoming 5000ft. My turrets are set for 5000ft, and, I also use a G7 rangefinder.
__________________

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 32
Re: Nightforce G7 help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I'm on board with the re-zero, but have also had situations where others have tried my rifle in the field, and POI was different due to the individual's shooting style, particularly with heavier calibers. The variation is typically vertical. Bipod loading, cheek weld, and how tight the butt is pulled into the shoulder seem to be variables. Last season a buddy shot my rifle and produced a comparable group to mine that was a foot high at 500 yards. When I told him to lighten his cheek weld, the impact points were very close to mine. Having said that, 8" at 200 yards seems like a lot. I generally leave about 2 MOA of room with my zero stop for re-zero when changing locations. The change is usually a couple of clicks, if any, at 200 yards. This is for a location change from East coast 300ft altitude to Wyoming 5000ft. My turrets are set for 5000ft, and, I also use a G7 rangefinder.
so you still have to re zero even though you have their rangefinger thats suppose to compensate for elevation change? that SUCKS ass if thats the case. the whole reason i got the BR2 is so i wouldnt have to re zero at different altitudes.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,419
Re: Nightforce G7 help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6power View Post
so you still have to re zero even though you have their rangefinger thats suppose to compensate for elevation change? that SUCKS ass if thats the case. the whole reason i got the BR2 is so i wouldnt have to re zero at different altitudes.
I think it would be wonderful if the capability of a rangefinder would eliminate the need for re-zeroing your rifle, but it has little to do with it. The ballistic program in a rangefinder or handheld assumes the rifle is zeroed to drive it's output. Once zeroed, the G7will provide a corrected output given the basic entry info is valid. Zeroing the rifle is independent, and a confirmation that something hasn't changed since the last zero was established. Changes in atmospheric conditions, change in altitude, scope knocked out of alignment during travel, or just plain confidence to confirm that something hasn't gone out of whack are a few reasons to rezero before a hunt or other event that you want to be absolutely sure of the performance of the rifle. Once the basic zero is established, the G7 will very effectively compensate for a change in altitude/air density, temperature, etc. I have one rifle that hasn't had the zero adjusted at various locations and air travel for three seasons. A couple of others need some adjustment. I think the particular rifle components, construction, and hand load quality(like use of temperature insensitive powder) could have something to do with it. iMHO,
__________________

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt

Last edited by Greyfox; 06-13-2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 32
Re: Nightforce G7 help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I think it would be wonderful if the capability of a rangefinder would eliminate the need for re-zeroing your rifle, but it has little to do with it. The ballistic program in a rangefinder or handheld assumes the rifle is zeroed to drive it's output. Once zeroed, the G7will provide a corrected output given the basic entry info is valid. Zeroing the rifle is independent, and a confirmation that something hasn't changed since the last zero was established. Changes in atmospheric conditions, change in altitude, scope knocked out of alignment during travel, or just plain confidence to confirm that something hasn't gone out of whack are a few reasons to rezero before a hunt or other event that you want to be absolutely sure of the performance of the rifle. Once the basic zero is established, the G7 will very effectively compensate for a change in altitude/air density, temperature, etc. I have one rifle that hasn't had the zero adjusted at various locations and air travel for three seasons. A couple of others need some adjustment. I think the particular rifle components, construction, and hand load quality(like use of temperature insensitive powder) could have something to do with it. iMHO,
great description. thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-14-2013, 05:36 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Terre Haute In.
Posts: 696
Re: Nightforce G7 help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greyfox, good answer that was what I was driving at. Seemed to me it would have to be rechecked at least and possibly re-zeroed. On a different note (and I don't want to hi-jack this thread) remember I told you I purchased a 5r 300wm a few months back? I decided to start working on a load for it, your not gonna believe this the D thing would not chamber a round, Remington didn't finish the chamber. My dealer called them, and returned the rifle, it was supposed to be replaced by a different rifle, they called him on Monday to let him know they received it when he asked where mine was they started hem-hawing around knowing they were just gonna re-barrel that one, so he told them to put a barrel on it from the custom shop and return or don't expect him to order any more rifles from them. We'll see how it turns out. Sorry inline. And you are right that will suck azz. if that is indeed the case.
__________________
Rick

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,419
Re: Nightforce G7 help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
Greyfox, good answer that was what I was driving at. Seemed to me it would have to be rechecked at least and possibly re-zeroed. On a different note (and I don't want to hi-jack this thread) remember I told you I purchased a 5r 300wm a few months back? I decided to start working on a load for it, your not gonna believe this the D thing would not chamber a round, Remington didn't finish the chamber. My dealer called them, and returned the rifle, it was supposed to be replaced by a different rifle, they called him on Monday to let him know they received it when he asked where mine was they started hem-hawing around knowing they were just gonna re-barrel that one, so he told them to put a barrel on it from the custom shop and return or don't expect him to order any more rifles from them. We'll see how it turns out. Sorry inline. And you are right that will suck azz. if that is indeed the case.
It's really disheartening to hear that even the Milpecs can be dogs. They supposedly give them special attention. I gave up on the standard issue 700's years ago because of the hit or miss quality. My most recent purchase a few months ago was a 300 mag with the 24" barrel and threaded muzzle. I guess I lucked out for the 4th time, having bought three 308's since their intro, all being exceptional shooters. I have about 200 rounds through the new 300 and it's holding .25 MOA if I do my part. The Mark X trigger was junk though, and I had to replace it with a Timney which I really like. My buddy just received a 308, but hasn't shot it yet. I'll let you know how he does. Hope Remington gets your rifle fixed!
__________________

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC