Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce G7 help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Bronze Member

Nightforce G7 help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well we sent my old mans gun to gunwerks to have a g7 nightforce put on. i also have one getting put on my 7lrm they are building me. this is the first time him and i have went to a turret setup. i fully understand MOA and so on but have a question.
my dads gun is a 338-378 weatheryby . he is shooting a sierra match king in 300 grains. velocity is 2715 and bc is .768 and the turret they put on is set for 5000 ft ele. we have a BR2 rangefinder coming so diff elevations will not matter. now here is the question and the problem we are having. Gunwerks said the gun shot GREAT and they were bangin steel out to 1350yds. we get the gun home and take it out last week to shoot it and get use to the new scope. we set a target up at 202 yards and the first shot was about 8 inches high. we are at 400ft on elevation and just dont see how 4500ft of elevation difference can change 8 inches at 200yds. we had to dial the turret back to the zero stop to even come close at 200 yards and we were still 2 inches high even at the zero stop. i understand elevation will change poi, but if your zero is at 200yds, realistically that should not change at any elevation by 8 inches. do we need to re zero the scope at 200yds here where we are shooting? what will that do to the turret thats already setup for the gun? sorry for the noobish questions its just this is the first time using a turret and it just dont seem right. gunwerks said it shot flawlessly and i just dont fully understand this problem. with the BR2, its suppost to be a range target, dial turret, and shoot system. so not sure if i need to re zero the scope and will i have to do this for every different elevation we go to even if we have a BR2 thats matched to the guns profile? thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Nightforce G7 help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Bet is to give one of the guys, maybe Mike a call @ G7 a call, easy fix.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Scott View Post
Best Bet is to give one of the guys, maybe Mike a call @ G7 a call, easy fix.
just did that. talked to the guys and figured it out. thanks and sorry for the long post.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Gold Member

Well............Don't leave us hangin what was the problem-fix ?

Old 06-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
Well............Don't leave us hangin what was the problem-fix ?
Got to re zero to 200. They are not sure how it's that far off going from 5k to 400ft but they said re zero to 200 here and everything else will be spot on again. Will do that again this weekend and shoot out to 1000 and test it. I will keep you guys updated
Old 06-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6power View Post
Got to re zero to 200. They are not sure how it's that far off going from 5k to 400ft but they said re zero to 200 here and everything else will be spot on again. Will do that again this weekend and shoot out to 1000 and test it. I will keep you guys updated
Ok thanks, are you going to have to rezero when you go to 5000ft. or did they say? If so that could be a PITA

Old 06-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
Ok thanks, are you going to have to rezero when you go to 5000ft. or did they say? If so that could be a PITA
I will not have to re zero because I have a br2 rangefinder coming that's set for this guns stats. Rangefinder compensates for elevation and tells me where to dial. They said elevation should not have any difference on poi at 200 yards. They said elevation truly don't effect poi until after 500 yards so your 200 zero should in theory be very very close to the same no matter what the elevation is