Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

NIGHTFORCE EYE PIECE / POWER RING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Bronze Member

NIGHTFORCE EYE PIECE / POWER RING

I just got my new 5.5-22 X 50 NPR1 from Bailey (Thanks BJ). It is one Big Ol Awesome scope. The only thing that I noticed about the scope that I don't like is the fact that the eye piece rotates with the power ring. Is this normal? Therefore, when you flip up the Butler Creek, it rotates around when you dial up the power [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] . How do you guys that have NIghtforce scopes deal with this?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: NIGHTFORCE EYE PIECE / POWER RING

Its normal. I love mine because of it. I dont use caps though. just grab and twist and you are ready to go
Old 02-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

I use a scopecoat. It protects the scope better.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Bronze Member

Dennis,

This is exactly what I asked Nightforce after I purchased my first NXS 3 or 4 years ago. The fellow I spoke with at Nightforce stated that he had never thought about it and that he would relay it to the engineers (yah right). I do use the flip up covers and because of that, I don't adjust the power ring a whole bunch. My 5.5-22 is used for LR only and see no need in turning the power down, it stays on 22 wether at the bench or in the field. Like was previously stated the bikini covers are going to be your best bet if you plan on adjusting the power often.

Murf
Old 02-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Scopecoat makes oversized neoprene pull-overs that fit even if you have the extension on the front. Best protection for your scope I have found. I agree with the guys, you will probably not change the magnification much if at all for most of your shooting. I would forget about it and enjoy your wonderful scope - you got one of the nicest scopes out there.

By the way, I find that #18 Butler Creek flip-ups fit the eyepiece very nicely, some guys use #17's but I have not tried them. I just use the Butlers to keep my own greasy thumb-prints off the eyepiece.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:56 AM
SPONSOR

You work along side BJ, sell scopes with him, but never get no credit [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Guess thats what happens when your the only one who really works. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Glad you like your scope. What i do for scope caps is to turn the scope up to max power and then put my butler creek cap on, since most all of my shots are at 22 power this puts my caps and ballistic info inside my cap at the correct postition. IF i remeber right when i turn the power down the cap is angled left

hope you like the new scope
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 02-09-2007, 09:19 AM
SPONSOR

LERCH....

Can you do me a favor and take a Pic of your cap with the info showing .....and post it here.

that is a great idea...

thanks